This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"gluten Free" Items That "got You"

NorthernElf

Darn210 Enthusiast
Wellshire Kids Dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets and Wellshire corn dogs were glutening my son. He had sporadic D and I could never figure out why, and his tTG entered the upper limit of the normal reference range. It was not until there was a Chicago Tribune article about this company posted here, that I figured out that it was the chicken nuggets and corn dogs that were making him sick. Their products are labeled gluten free, yet they were being manufactured on equipment shared with wheat. They also told me that since they are meat products, that they chose to follow the USDA "safe" levels, which is <200 ppm. Needless to say that I will NEVER buy another one of their products again! :angry: Now that I have removed Wellshire products from his diet, his tTG went back down to very low levels.

The Wellshire corn dogs . . . actually labeled "gluten-free" on the packaging . . . was the only thing that has gotten my daughter (not counting the time where she had something that had wheat listed as an ingredient - Doh!!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
darlindeb25 Collaborator

I find it so depressing that so many people tell us to trust them, and then gluten us. I'm with Steph, there is nearly nothing labeled "gluten free" that will not gluten me. for a long time, I didn't even realize I was being glutened...my glutened symptoms have changed over time, so I didn't realize they were symptoms of being glutened. Now, these incidents will be far and few between, simply because I refuse to believe these companies anymore.

There needs to be new FDA standards for "gluten free" for any of us to be safe. It's hard, especially for kids to give up foods they have always loved. So these companies play on that fact, to sell products. Yes, some of these companies are started by gluten free people, and they truly are trying to provide us with gluten free foods similiar to what we used to eat. Other companies are just there for the $$$$$. Bottom line is making money off those who need speciality foods. We know that already, just by the pricing of those items. They know we crave these foods, and we can only have them if "gluten free" so they capitalize on that very fact.

It's all very upsetting.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Arrowhead Mills flours. It was definitely CC, and happened with more than one type from them.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Wellshire farms nuggets and corn dogs got us too. I *thought* it might have been those that were making my dd sick, but I kept second guessing myself b/c the package said gluten free. Our diet is hard enough w/out companies knowingly putting out gluten free product that are contaminated. And the fact that their product is marketed for children makes it that much worse. It's just about money & the newest trend, screw consumer safety and any children who may get sick.

nasalady Contributor
Arrowhead Mills flours. It was definitely CC, and happened with more than one type from them.

Yes! I was glutened by Arrowhead Mills millet flour.

Michelle1234 Contributor

Udi's bread in Denver gets me every time. It is the world best tasting gluten free bread and I can't eat it. I think it is because they only washed the lines when they converted over to gluten free, didn't replace them. Very low level of cross contamination but enough to keep me in the house near the restroom. I now buy only Outside the Breadbox from Colorado Springs.

Van's waffles. I just tried these last week. I had a reaction that I didn't know where it came from. Now I'm suspicious about the waffles. I won't be buying them again.

Lays potato chips. A shame but they might as well label them as process on wheat facilities. Something labeled like that almost always gets me. I now use Michael Season's low salt potato chips and they have not glutened me. And they are very good.

I use gluten ease for every meal I eat out. before that I was getting cc reactions at least 4 out of 5 times. Now almost never. I can't even remember the last time I had a problem.

This is a good thread. I hope more people list which items get them.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

I'm finding it very interesting that regardless of the laws in place we are not able to trust the labels. We have to rely on common sense and each other.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MonKol Rookie
I'm finding it very interesting that regardless of the laws in place we are not able to trust the labels. We have to rely on common sense and each other.

what laws? seriously? are there laws about this stuff?

psawyer Proficient
what laws? seriously? are there laws about this stuff?

There are very complicated legal requirements about labeling in the US and in Canada. There are probably many other countries with similar codes. Most ingredients that can be listed have rules about what they can and cannot be.

The law most discussed here is Open Original Shared Link It requires wheat to be disclosed in packaged food sold in the US, regardless of country of origin.

Jeanniebug Apprentice

Here are mine:

Bonefish Grill - Caesar Salad - chef in error tossed my salad in same bowl as other salads containing croutons. He didn't catch the error till after I'd eaten it. The manager came out and told me what happened before we left. We hoped for the best but I woke up super sick...on a roadtrip, while out of town, for a funeral. It was miserable.

Lay's chips...any of them that are supposedly ok, are not ok for me.

Chik-Fil-A - Waffle fries. They advertise as cooked in a dedicated fryer but I did get glutened. I keep a food log so it was definitely this issue, plus my symptoms start within hours. :(

Publix blue corn tortilla chips

Vitamins - all gluten-free vitamins bother me

Kinnikinnick cookies

Bare Essentuals 100% Natural Lipstick (this one was a real humdinger!)

Dove soap

It's hit or miss with me, I have to be very careful.

minniejack Contributor

I've read that distilled spirits supposedly have the gluten distilled out, but mixed drinks have gotten me 2x. Once a couple of months ago on our 17th anniversary after the Melting Pot.

Didn't even make it home--sooooo embarrassing--at least we live on a darkened street where there aren't any houses for 300 yds. :P I marked the Maple, as my daughter now teases.

VioletBlue Contributor

Hormel Aus Juis pork. According to their website it's gluten free. According to my stomach not so much.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

"I use gluten ease for every meal I eat out. before that I was getting cc reactions at least 4 out of 5 times. Now almost never. I can't even remember the last time I had a problem."

What is this? Where can I get some?

I have to eat out for my job, and could really use this.

Put me down for Bonefish-I'm not sure what got me but, it was aweful!

Michelle1234 Contributor
What is this? Where can I get some?

I have to eat out for my job, and could really use this.

Hi Sarah,

It is Gluten Ease by Enzymedica. I take it along with their Digest Gold. They are both digestive enzymes.

We have it in our health food grocery stores but I'm sure you can get it on-line.

I still order everything in restaurants gluten free but now I almost never get cc issues. There are a number of different brands with similar products but I've only tried this one.

When I went on a world cruise, earlier this year, I took it almost 3 meals a day for 3.5 months. Sometimes I would forget and get glutened. Sometimes they would majorly gluten me and I got sick anyways but most of the time I did OK.

Cheers!

Michelle

• 4 months later...
Lynayah Enthusiast

Sadly, the new Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins crackers don't work for me, which is a shame because they are delicious.

I am highly sensitive, and on the label it states that, while the crackers are routinely tested for low gluten levels (I applaud them for this), Nut Thins are manufactured in a plant that also processes wheat.

The first time I ate them, it was around the holidays, and I figured it must have been something else I ate, so I vowed to try them again.

The second time, I had a couple crackers in the morning, on an empty stomach, after having a good stretch without a "hit." No luck, I had a reaction very quickly afterwards. Good thing I was at home!

I envy those who can eat these crackers without a problem. They are very tasty!

I went gluten-free in September, and I'm still trying to get my Gliadin back to a normal level. Being glutened by "gluten-free" foods isn't helping, that's for sure.

Like so many of you here, I find I have difficulty with processed foods in general.

I am learning to always read the label, even if "wheat and gluten-free" is shining on the package in a neon sign. If it says there is wheat anywhere near the line, even if trace amounts, I must stay away. :( For me right now, it is probably best to avoid processed foods altogether.

I am being very strict these days - meat, vegetables, and fruit only, for the most part. I'm also buying organic whenever possible.

DownWithGluten Explorer

This thread is depressing. <_<

I guess I'm lucky because the only two times I've been full-blown glutened in the past 3 years were from movie theater popcorn (...I forget what company it was. But it wasn't Regal or Loewe's). And then, from a local cafe that purports to have a gluten-free kitchen etc. I ate there once, had their pizza, and was fine. I ate there a second time, had their greek salad and (hopefully) gluten free grilled cheese...and was not fine at all. Not sure which of the two caused the problem.

It's frustrating.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I keep getting glutened and don't know where. Does anybody ever have problems with Kinnikinnick products or freybe meats?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I keep getting glutened and don't know where. Does anybody ever have problems with Kinnikinnick products or freybe meats?

I haven't ever had an issue with Kinnie's products and I am very senstive. They are one of the few brands I can eat because they don't load everything with soy. I am not at all familiar with the meat brand you mention so I can't answer for that. If it is fresh unprocessed meat there should be no issue as long as no broth has been added.

lovegrov Collaborator

Chik fil a's fries are not just "supposedly" fried in dedicated fryers. They are. But any fast food place can have CC.

Kinnikinick products are pretty much as safe as you can get. Certified suppliers and completely dedicated facilities. Either your gluten reaction did not come from a K product or something else was bothering you.

richard

modiddly16 Enthusiast

wow I eat Utz and Van's waffles all the time and have never had any issues! I get really sick off of Crystal Light though, but I don't think that has anything to do with a gluten issue. Might be the appertain?

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Well, since I've only been gluten free for five months now I haven't tried a lot of gluten free products, but here goes...

Hemp Milk -Pacific Foods

Almond Dream - after three days of drinking this, I noticed it right away. The Pacific Hemp Milk took a little longer. I was having such a mild reaction to it, but when I stopped drinking it I felt better.

Synthriod - I got a new prescription filled & started to feel very sick. After two weeks of taking it I was losing more weight, couldn't eat & had many other symptoms. I realized it was the medicine. A month after stopping it, I gained all of my ten pounds that I lost back! I wonder if the synthriod was bothering me the whole time I was gluten free. :o My doctors changed me to Levoxly & I'm not 100 % yet, but I'm doing So much better.

Rice Chex Strawberry & Cinnamon

So Delicious Kieffer Coconut Milk

I have to say I do love Glutino! When I eat anything processed I stick with products that aren't made on shared lines. I just don't trust them & it's not worth getting sick over!

8Curvey8 Rookie

Freybe's is great! Never get sick and never had a problem with Kinnikinnick...

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I got glutened at Outback the first time I ate there :( Now I'm scared to go back. I'm afraid my restaurant options are ZERO at this point.

I've been glutened 4 times by Mi Del Arrowroot cookies, sadly, I kept thinking each time, "Can't be, they say gluten free, and they're so good!" Now, after 2 weeks of being sick nearly every day, we're over. That relationship was not working. So sad, since they're so good and are labeled gluten free, but they are made in a shared facility, so I guess I took my chances.

It breaks my heart to get excited about products labeled gluten free, but unfortunately, even some of them aren't safe. Gluten free doesn't mean gluten free, it just means it contains less than ??? ppm of gluten. I'm becoming something of a cynic nowadays.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Amy's frozen meals.

No problem with Chex or Kinnickinnick at all.

Won't go to Chipotle because no one there ever speaks English, even though only one thing in the whole danged store has gluten (flour tortillas).

DaffodElle Newbie

Lays and Kettle potato chips for sure, Classico pasta sauce, Amy's meals (took me awhile to figure out, the enchiladas were so good!!). There are so many things I've had CC reactions to, I pretty much stopped keeping track like I used to.

Pretty much any restaurant EXCEPT PF Chang's, and I've had better luck with Outback lately.

It actually makes me feel better to see the responses to this, sometimes I think I'm the only one and I'm crazy to blame it on these "gluten-free" products!!

Archived