Wolicki

Why All The Noise With Digestion?

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I am so glad I found this site. Just knowing there are so mnay others who hae been through similiar experieces is very comforting. I have been gluten-free for about 2 months. I've noticed that it's gotten very noisy in my tummy!

For example, I just had breakfast, and within 5 minutes, the gurgling started. Then a growling sound. It's like a bad symphony. I have also been experiencing flatulence for the first time in my 43 years and I must say, this part of being "normal" is not my favorite.

I've been told that many Celiacs have addtional allergies/intolerances that pop up after going gluten-free, so I started a food diary today. I just REALLY do not want to have to give up dairy, so I am hoping that's not it.

I've also heard that all this noise could be just my body adjustng to actually digesting and absorbing the food I consume.

I would love to hear your experiences, and if it eventually goes away, and if it turned out that it actually is a problem with dairy. Thank you all so much.

Hi and welcome :)

At this point, I think the noises are most likely part of the healing process. I remember after I went on the diet, I could both hear and feel my digestion for a while. It should begin to get better, but the food diary is still a great idea. I found it a big help.

Hi and welcome :)

At this point, I think the noises are most likely part of the healing process. I remember after I went on the diet, I could both hear and feel my digestion for a while. It should begin to get better, but the food diary is still a great idea. I found it a big help.

Thanks. I sure do hope that's all it is!

What did you have for breakfast? You could try eating something completely different for a while and see if the rumbling still appears. For me that rumbing is one of the first indications that I am eating something I shouldn't although that may not be the case for you.

If you are used to always having a dairy product in the am you could try using an alternate 'dairy' type product for a while and see it that is the issue. A for sure gluten free rice milk (don't get Rice Dream despite the box it is not safe, hemp milk, almond milk etc on your cereal might make a difference.

Hi All,

I am so glad I found this site. Just knowing there are so mnay others who hae been through similiar experieces is very comforting. I have been gluten-free for about 2 months. I've noticed that it's gotten very noisy in my tummy!

For example, I just had breakfast, and within 5 minutes, the gurgling started. Then a growling sound. It's like a bad symphony. I have also been experiencing flatulence for the first time in my 43 years and I must say, this part of being "normal" is not my favorite.

I've been told that many Celiacs have addtional allergies/intolerances that pop up after going gluten-free, so I started a food diary today. I just REALLY do not want to have to give up dairy, so I am hoping that's not it.

I've also heard that all this noise could be just my body adjustng to actually digesting and absorbing the food I consume.

I would love to hear your experiences, and if it eventually goes away, and if it turned out that it actually is a problem with dairy. Thank you all so much.

In my case, it meant that food was racing through me without getting digested particularly. I gave up fruit and dairy and the situation improved, but I suspect what really helped was adding in lots and lots of vegetables. Adding more fiber is almost always a good idea.

For flatulence, you might buy Lactaid milk and see if that's better. If so, you're lactose intolerant. Or you could try Beano (I haven't, but hear good things); if that works, it would indicate that yes, you're now digesting your food better. (Or at least the indigestible stuff is sticking around long enough to cause flatulence.)

(Grossness warning) You can test your digestive transit time by eating some whole kernel corn and seeing how long before you see it again. Googling indicates that average transit time is between 24 and 36 hours. In my gluten-eating days, mine was more like 8. I think I'm closer to normal now.

Good luck in finding an answer.