scarlet

Newly Diagnosed Is Whey Ok Or Not

Rate this topic

I have been reading everything I can get a hold of since being newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Is whey ok to eat or not? Some websites list it as not being ok and others list it as being ok.

Whey is a dairy product and is gluten-free. It is the liquid left over after milk is coagulated, as in the making of cheese.

It contains casein, so if you are avoiding casein avoid whey.

There seems to be a considerable percentage of Celiacs who cannot tolerate dairy, so I guess that's what you're reading. My personal opinion is that, given this statistic, the complexity of casein, and the common issues with lactose, it's probably better to avoid it. And I think this is especially true during the initial healing stages. Some are able to tolerate dairy once sufficient healing has taken place. Others are not.

If you try eating a dairy product and it bothers you, then stop eating it. If it doesn't bother you, then it is only a matter of your choice.

Little Miss Muffet

sat on her tuffet

eating her curds and whey!

Think cottage cheese..... If you're not dairy allergic or lactose intolerant it's fine. We have three celiacs in our house. Only one, me, who is dairy allergic.

The one that took me awhile was cellulose. If it says cellulose in the ingredients I do some research before buying it now.