Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

How Do I Get My Family To Get Tested?

Ive already convinced my mother to get tested for celiac disease but have not even discussed with my aunt and cousin. My aunt is very stubborn and set in her ways and when i told her there is a 50% chance i may have celiac she said well theres a 50% chance something else will kill me. I dont anticipate it being easy but I feel like its important for all my family members to get tested. My cousin has had GI issues in the past and when i mentioned gluten a yr ago she said she didnt want to open a can of worms. Should I write an email or send a letter or not even bring it up with them? im sure i will get resistance if i try

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You don't get your family to get tested. You can ask them, you can give them good reasons, but at the end of the day, it's their decision. Even if their decision is one you strongly disagree with, even if you think that decision isn't good for them, even if you think they're wrong - it's still their decision. Not easy, no, but all you can do is make a good case (without sounding pushy), say "I won't bring it up again, I just want to make sure you know", and then do *nothing* but set a good example, and *NOT* remind them over and over to get tested.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA