jasonD2

How Do I Get My Family To Get Tested?

Rate this topic

Ive already convinced my mother to get tested for celiac disease but have not even discussed with my aunt and cousin. My aunt is very stubborn and set in her ways and when i told her there is a 50% chance i may have celiac she said well theres a 50% chance something else will kill me. I dont anticipate it being easy but I feel like its important for all my family members to get tested. My cousin has had GI issues in the past and when i mentioned gluten a yr ago she said she didnt want to open a can of worms. Should I write an email or send a letter or not even bring it up with them? im sure i will get resistance if i try

You don't get your family to get tested. You can ask them, you can give them good reasons, but at the end of the day, it's their decision. Even if their decision is one you strongly disagree with, even if you think that decision isn't good for them, even if you think they're wrong - it's still their decision. Not easy, no, but all you can do is make a good case (without sounding pushy), say "I won't bring it up again, I just want to make sure you know", and then do *nothing* but set a good example, and *NOT* remind them over and over to get tested.