This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Duplicate Better Batter Recipe

Ragtime Queen

Ragtime Queen Newbie

I found a blog which included a recipe to duplicate Better Batter flour`s mixture, but have no idea where to get some of the ingerdients.I know where to find white rice flour, potato starch, and pectin, but not where to get brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato flour, or xantahn gum. I read a post here that said guar gum can be substituted for xanthan gum, but don`t know where to get that, etiher. Also, has anyone tried duplilcating Better Batter? I`m wondering if it`s even cost-effective given how pricey and hard to find some of the ingredients seem to be.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

The products you are looking for can be purchased at a natural foods store or Asian market.....brown rice flour should be available at a large supermarket that carries Bob's Red Mill products......but since these ingredients are specialized, supermarkets do not carry a full line. They can be ordered on line....but shipping is an added expense. Yes, guar gum can be substituted, but I prefer using Xanthan gum...very expensive but you use just a little. I have many food issues, so I have to pay the price...I have no choice. My local supermarket sells Lundberg brown rice flour in bulk, so the cost is a bit cheaper. Some people swear by the superfine ($$)brown rice, but I have seen no difference in my baking. I purchase the cheaper product.

seashele2 Newbie

The items you mention can all be located in the health food area of large grocery store chains or at a health food or natural foods market. The first time I purchased xanthan gum, I bought it on eBay for much less than retail, even including the shipping, so you might check online after you have a reference point to a non-mail order price. The guar gum I buy, surprisingly, is in the vitamin section not baking section, of our natural market and is made by NOW.

I don't ever buy flours out of the bulk bins at the grocery store or natural foods markets. There is too great of a risk of cross-contamination. I frequently see people picking up a scoop from another product to get whatever they are wanting for example.

I have written down in my notes that BetterBatter flour contains corn but if your list of flours is their ingredient list, that must have changed. I'll have to check them out again.

Michelle

Western Washington State

RiceGuy Collaborator

You can get everything you'd need from Open Original Shared Link. Although guar gum can be used in place of xanthan in some cases, it does give a different texture, which is usually better in cakes and such.

mamaw Community Regular

super-fine rice flour will give your baked goods are better texture, not gritty like when you use reg. rice flour.

If you are new to the gluten-free diet ther is a learning curve to baking with alternative ingredients. I would suggest if you are just starting out to buy a good flour blend already mixed.

Betterbatter can be purchased on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) .Many of us love betterbatter plus if you go to her site she has loads of recipes that are wonderful.

Other good flour blends are Tom Sawyer, Domata Living Flour, Meister's flour plus many more. But all the better things in life are more expensive...

I would not recommend using flours from Asian Markets due to the high lead count. I used to only buy from Asian markets but my lead levels sky-rocketed & doctors finally figured out why! I was using flour from Asian markets. Since I have stopped several years ago I now have my lead levels under control again....

hth

mamaw

Ginsou Explorer

Several people seem to give the thumbs up to Tom Sawyer.....I have decided to give this product a second try. The first recipe I tried was pancakes, and they were not good at all. Since this product originates in my home town, I will give it another try.....bread or pizza crust.

I now have started to grind brown rice flour in the blender.....make my own superfine flour.

I agree about comtamination in the bulk bins, even in a natural food store.

• 1 month later...
Betsiugink Newbie

I love the Better Batter flour but discovered it only after I bought a pantry full of the separate ingredients. Would you share the name of the blog that posted a duplicate recipe for the Better Batter blend? I'm too frugal to abandon my existing ingredients (including the super-fine brown rice flour that must be in the mix) so it would be great to use them to make the clone and then buy more Better Batter going forward.

Thanks so much!

I found a blog which included a recipe to duplicate Better Batter flour`s mixture, but have no idea where to get some of the ingerdients.I know where to find white rice flour, potato starch, and pectin, but not where to get brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato flour, or xantahn gum. I read a post here that said guar gum can be substituted for xanthan gum, but don`t know where to get that, etiher. Also, has anyone tried duplilcating Better Batter? I`m wondering if it`s even cost-effective given how pricey and hard to find some of the ingredients seem to be.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ranger Enthusiast

Can you post the recipe for the Better Batter clone?

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Most larger supermarkets carry brown rice flour and xanthan gum in their health foods section.

Asian grocery stores (think Chinatown) sell white rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch for about 25% of what the health food stores charge.

All of the ingredients in betterbatter flour can be purchased via Amazon. But you can also purchase the betterbatter flour IN BULK via Amazon, at significant savings.

I used to mix my own flour blends, but found that it was time-consuming (especially factoring in the time needed to clean up after mixing everything!) and required a lot of specialized storage, not to mention planning shopping trips to the Asian store when this or that ingredient ran out (I never seemed to run out of things at the same time).

I order 40 pounds at a time, which come in 8 5-lb boxes that are easy to store.

freeatlast Collaborator

Our Wal-Mart now carries all kinds of Bob's Red Mill products in its new gluten-free section in the grocery department. AND, the prices are much lower than Whole Foods and other health food stores locally.

I hope more people will buy at Wal-Mart so they will be encouraged to continue to carry these gluten free foods. It will save us, the consumers, big bucks! Whenever I'm in a health food store now, I always think...hum, does Wal-Mart carry this????

Archived