waitingdorothea

San Marcos Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce

Rate this topic

I've been feeling off, and the only new ingredient that I'm not 100% sure about is a can of San Marcos Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce. Does any know if these are gluten free? The ingredients sure looked like they should be ok - nothing that suggested I should be worried.

Ingredients are:

Chipotle Peppers, Tomato Puree, Vinegar, Onions, Sunflower Seed Oil, Sugar, Salt, Paprika and Garlic

I have not found any Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce that are gluten free. I think Adobo sauce as a rule contains gluten. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really sad to not be able to use it, as it was an ingredient in several of my recipies and I don't have a good or easy substitute.

I use San Marco Chipotles...and like you, judging by the label, I wasn't worried. And I use them alot, and haven't had any reactions that I can detect to date, and I'm pretty sensitive, and have DH as well, so that's usually the first beacon of a contamination. I'll try and give them a call this week, just to be sure. Otherwise...totally going to figure out how to make and can my own...just need to borrow my dad's smoker.

I have not found any Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce that are gluten free. I think Adobo sauce as a rule contains gluten. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really sad to not be able to use it, as it was an ingredient in several of my recipies and I don't have a good or easy substitute.

maybe you are thinking of Mole sauce? that one usually has bread or flour used as a thickener

I use San Marco Chipotles...and like you, judging by the label, I wasn't worried. And I use them alot, and haven't had any reactions that I can detect to date, and I'm pretty sensitive, and have DH as well, so that's usually the first beacon of a contamination. I'll try and give them a call this week, just to be sure. Otherwise...totally going to figure out how to make and can my own...just need to borrow my dad's smoker.

Did you ever have any luck in contacting San Marco about their chipotle peppers in adobo sauce? I just bought a jar. And, while all of the ingredients listed appear safe, none of the other brands seemed to be gluten free. So, I just wanted to confirm its status.

I just bought a small can last night, and was wondering if I made a mistake. Post if you find out.

http://chiknpastry.com/2009/07/beef-burgers-with-bbq-sauce/

I found this so far...check out the burgers...damn. At the bottom of the recipe:

"If you need gluten-free version, be sure to buy San Marcos or La Costena chipotles in adobo sauce. Some others have wheat flour in the ingredients list. Obviously, buns aren

I have found several mex-grocery sites that say La Costena chipotles adobo is a gluten free product.

I have found several mex-grocery sites that say La Costena chipotles adobo is a gluten free product.

I saw that same claim on the mex-grocery site and wrote to them to complain. I bought the same product at a local store and the ingredients included wheat starch (a definite gluten offender) and caramel color (a possible gluten offender). However, now I am starting to wonder if La Costena recently changed their recipe. Because on Amazon, the ingredients are listed as: Chipotle Peppers, Vinegar, Tomatoes, Onions, Sugar, Iodized Salt, Paprika, Soybean Oil and Spices.