summerteeth

Family Reunion

Rate this topic

My fiance's family is having a family reunion Saturday. I just found out yesterday from his mom. Knowing that there will be few, if no, options for me I am prepared to bring my own goodies. No problem there. BUT! I have to make a dish to pass. I was thinking chocolate garbanzo bean cake... but am kind of maxxed out on that because I made one last week for a friend at work. I need to broaden my gluten-free cooking horizon. Any (relatively easy) ideas?

The first thing that comes to mind is lasagna. Use Tinkyada noodles, and make the dish as usual. Nobody will know it's gluten-free.

I usually take ham to an event like this. Easy to prepare, easy to transport. It insures that I'll have a meat dish to eat and usually there are vegetables that are relatively safe.

I've never had the Tinkynada noodles before (they don't sell them around here). The only gluten-free lasagne noodles I've seen here are DeBoles.

I like the ham idea though.

Thanks!!

deboles noodles will work as well for lasagna

you could bring a warm side dish or there are many different desserts that are very easy to make gluten free. i make a chocolate cheesecake that is soooo good. it doesnt have anything very different in it except tapioca starch. i cruch up cookies and mix with butter for the crust

I've only had their spaghetti noodles and I didn't like them too much.

Cheesecake sounds good - I am kind of frightened of baking with alternative flours because my handful of experiences with them have been disastrous. I need to bite the bullet and try again one of these days :P

My mom had this great idea to roast some chicken wings and bring three different sauces. I kind of like this idea, but around here packs of chicken wings are kind of pricey -- and I'm not too fond of them myself.

My other idea was to make something with squash because it is on sale everywhere here - like a squash side dish.

Ooo yeah, you could even grill the squash ahead of time. Grilled ham slices and squash - that sounds like a nice plate. Have you ever tried grilling fresh whole green beans? You'll need one of those grilling sheets/pans with holes in it so the beans don't fall through on the grill. But they are always a hit - don't even taste like "normal" green beans. Just spray with a little olive oil spray and lightly salt and cook on your grill.

And if you're not one to dig into a recipe with unknown flours, etc., try just making a pan of gluten free brownies to take along - Pamela's brownie mix is a good one, and simple to make, and I believe Betty Crocker now has a gluten free brownie mix.

I've only had their spaghetti noodles and I didn't like them too much.

Cheesecake sounds good - I am kind of frightened of baking with alternative flours because my handful of experiences with them have been disastrous. I need to bite the bullet and try again one of these days :P

My mom had this great idea to roast some chicken wings and bring three different sauces. I kind of like this idea, but around here packs of chicken wings are kind of pricey -- and I'm not too fond of them myself.

My other idea was to make something with squash because it is on sale everywhere here - like a squash side dish.

I failed at gluten free baking too until I made this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-b...cipe/index.html they turn out like regular

Wings are pricey here also. You could use bite size peices of chicken breast pan fried in olive oil and spices. What kind of sauces did she suggest? I'm thinking bbq, salsa, ranch, honey mustard?

I made this and took for a goodie to my family reunion back in July. Everyone loved it and it was easy to make.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=60253

I usually take cut up fresh fruit, or a black bean salad type thing to things where I have to bring a dish. The ham idea is great... I don't know why I've never thought to do that.

I failed at gluten free baking too until I made this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-b...cipe/index.html they turn out like regular

Well it's by Alton Brown it must be good (I LOVE his show!)

Well thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas! I have way more options than I ever would have imagined. This is going to be a lot easier than I thought (minus the last minute factor).