jasonD2

I Cannot Believe What My Doc Just Said To Me

Rate this topic

I recently had a fistula removed by a well known rectal surgeon who also does colonoscopies. I asked if he thinks i should have a colonoscopy since i have a family history of colon cancer & stomach problems and I also mentioned the celiac part and that I was concerned. He said, and I quote:

"you're 35, i'd wait till you are 40; as for the celiac disease I have patients ask me that all the time- the blood test is meaningless and I tell all of them to not worry about it"

what the hell?

He might be "well known" but he doesn't know well, does he?

Reminds me of George Eliot's saying, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ."

Ugh....unbelieveable <_<

Jason, a good rule of thumb about the colon cancer screening is to be tested 10 years before you reach the age your relative's cancer was discovered.

Personally I would find a new GI doctor and make sure you do not refer anyone to this guy. He is an idiot as far as celiac is concerned. Not worry about it!!! Guess he likes making money more than careing for his patients. After all once folks are diagnosed and they don't have GI troubles any longer then he really isn't needed any more is he except for routine scopes that all should get after they reach a certain age.