Susanne50

Info On Emerging Symptoms?

Rate this topic

I would like to hear from anyone who became gluten intolerant in middle age. What did you experience as onset symptoms? Did they come on very suddenly? Here are my symptoms: Bloating and knotted feeling under my ribcage, gets worse as the day goes on until I can't tolerate a waistband or bra strap and can't sit up straight. Then I wake up in the middle of the night with bowel churning, cramping and feeling hot. These symptoms were very mild and not really noticible until I had a hemorhoidectomy under general anesthesia in July. Since then symptoms been severe and I have lost 15 pounds.

I have little appetite and can only eat small quantities of food at a time due to the knotted feeling.

I would appreciate any input at all. Thank you.

Suasnne50

Buckley WA

Could very well be celiac. I was 62 when I first started having symptoms, but attributed them with diabetic meds, which I had also just started taking. You can get tested through blood tests and an endo, but you need to be injesting Gluten to do so. Or, if it's not practical for you to that, you can go on the gluten free diet and see what happens. Hope you find out and can get better. Let us know, and feel free to ask away, no matter what you decide.

Susan

Thank you for responding to my question. Would you be willing to describe your early symptoms to me? I would be also interested in knowing how long you were on a gluten-free diet before you felt positive results.

Thank you,

Susanne

I would say I had symptoms for years, digestive, neurological, fatigue and fuzzy brained. It built up for me but probably took a turn for the worse after my gallbladder was removed. I went for it, went completely gluten-free from one day to the next. I was one of the lucky ones, I started to see improvement right away. Within 12 hours, I had the first normal BM in years. It just got better from there on out. Sure, I made a lot of mistakes. Really stupid ones but I think we all go through that. When I finally found this forum, I learned so much. I feel like I have a community I can always reach out to and I can help others as well.

I hope you find your answers whether you test first or just go for it. Keep us posted!