momxyz

Mayonaisse

Rate this topic

God Bless my mother in law...

since her husband died a key joy in her life is cooking for us. My daughter and i are fairly new to the gluten free lifestyle. She is getting it that we need to avoid wheat, which is really cool.

Today she gave us this luscious potato salad. (See, she gets it that we can eat potatoes!)

Question: are commercially prepared mayonaisses inherently gluten free?

We don't currently have any mayonnaise in the house, so I don't have a label to analyze.

I had one bite (couldn't help myself) but won't eat more til I find the answer!

(Got brown rice already cooked for my sides at supper)

Mayo usually has simple ingredients. I don't know of one that contains gluten.

However, you should be careful with cross contamination. After spreading a sandwich with mayo and double dipping, leaves it contaminated for those with Celiac.

However, you should be careful with cross contamination. After spreading a sandwich with mayo and double dipping, leaves it contaminated for those with Celiac.

thanks momma goose! that is helpful.

Having glutenoid wife & kids who like to make their own sandwiches, I really like mayo in squeeze bottles. :D

I would agree that commercial mayo is gluten-free, but CC is a problem if others are also using it from a jar.

richard

Thanks all for your timely replies. I didn't eat anymore of it after the issue of cross contamination was pointed out! My mother in law is not a big sandwich eater, so it is likely to be ok, but I just don't know. Hubby will get to eat it all!

When my husband does buy mayo, he does get it in the squeeze bottles, so we'll be safe at home.

What about pickles, frequently used in potato salad? Are all dill pickles gluten free? Anyone know current guidelines for ingredient listing?

If it doesn't say "distilled vinegar", could "vinegar" possibly mean there could be "malt vinegar" in the product, or does malt vinegar have to be listed if it's used?

What about pickles, frequently used in potato salad? Are all dill pickles gluten free? Anyone know current guidelines for ingredient listing?

If it doesn't say "distilled vinegar", could "vinegar" possibly mean there could be "malt vinegar" in the product, or does malt vinegar have to be listed if it's used?

fortunately for me, my MIL's potatoe salad is pretty basic, potatoes, onions or scallions, salt pepper a spice or two. but yes, the info on pickles would be helpful, for social situations where another recipe might be encountered!

I should think that most pickles would be gluten free. But, always read labels.

Malt vinegar will always be labeled as "Malt Vinegar." The single word "vinegar" refers to distilled vinegar made from corn or apples. Wine vinegar will be so labeled--it is gluten-free.

Hi Momma Goose,

I have come across some Organic Mayonnaise products that contain Wheat Syrup ??

You may not be familiar with these brands (scroll down to ingredients)

Biona Organic Free Range Mayonnaise

Elysium Organic Mayonnaise

It is not safe to assume that ALL Mayonnaise is Gluten Free.

Here an article about a food stabilizer derived from wheat used in Egg Free Dressings maybe Mayo ??

Food Stabilizers from Wheat in Egg Free Dressings

Best Regards,

David

Thank you kindly. It's good to know.

Malt vinegar will always be labeled as "Malt Vinegar." The single word "vinegar" refers to distilled vinegar made from corn or apples. Wine vinegar will be so labeled--it is gluten-free.