Crash

Didn't Stay gluten-free, New Symptoms

Rate this topic

Hi all, I posted back in April about my digestive and anxiety issues wondering if it could be celiac. Well, the summer was tolerable, but I didn't stay gluten-free. In fact, I never really brought myself to stop except for up until after finals last spring. Now I have new symptoms: a chronic low grade cough (last 3 weeks), almost never productive, that feels like its at the top of my chest, and extreme muscle/joint fatigue and pain. The pain and fatigue show up on Saturdays. The last 3 in a row. It worsens throughout the day and I am almost bedridden by evening (like now). I get lightheaded very easily now too. This is ridiculous. I've never had a bad result on a physical ever :( .

did going gluten free make you feel better? if so, why are you making yourself feel bad now?

did going gluten free make you feel better? if so, why are you making yourself feel bad now?

I didn't do it long enough to tell. I had bad withdrawal. I ended up not being able to give up real beer :(

I didn't do it long enough to tell. I had bad withdrawal. I ended up not being able to give up real beer :(

Try going off potoatoes. i get a very similar reaction to pototoes, it always feels like i have the flu and the chest pain is in the top of my chest sore tickly throat when i eat potatoes also dirrehea joint pain and fatique. Not so bad as gluten though. but if you are still eating gluten you may have constipation.

You need to switch to a safe alcohol if you can't give it up. Beer is apparently very addictive to you that is likely a combo of the gluten issue and the alcohol combined. If you stay away from gluten entirely the withdrawl will be over in one or two weeks. If you don't you risk much more pain and disability as time goes on. In addition you may eventually end up a full blown alcoholic. That will make all the studying you have done basically worthless and slowly take away more and more of your life. I am not a teetotaller but I have a family full of alcoholics, and their general beverage of choice is beer. My brother is a celiac also who could not give up the beer for the diet and I lost my twin to celiac related liver destruction accelerated by his beverage of choice-beer. Especially if you are under 25 that liver destruction can come very quickly and without warning. At the very least get a blood test to check your liver enzymes, perhaps the result of that test will give you a bit more incentive to lose the beer. You don't have to give up alcohol all together but if you can switch to a safe one it may prolong your life and enable you to give up the gluten.