Bfromaz

Some Thoughts And Advice - Gastro In 2 Days

Rate this topic

Hi All

I have been having stomach/bowel issues for over 10 years now. Several visits to ER. Many visits to Doctors. IBS is the diagnosis and nothing ever changes. My symtoms are Bloating ( Severe ), Pain, Nausea, diarhea, difficulty breathing, anxiety etc. In goes the food and all hell breaks loose. Having other more pressing medical issues the stomach issues have been put on hold for years now ( I have severe arthritus/ankylosing in my spine and type II Diabetes ).

On my last pain management visit my doc noticed the bloating and other symptoms and recommended I see a gastro. I see him monday. Knowing the appointment was soon I started looking up my symptoms and got a hit on gluten. This got me thinking...

Being diabetic I routinely drop my carb intake for months at a time. I eat mostly meat, vegetables, eggs and cheese. Thats it. I use this to keep my weight in check and my diabetes controlled. When I eat this way my gastric issues go away.

I'm strongly thinking after seeing the symptoms here and reading a bit that this may be my issue. For 3 weeks now I have been low carbing and no symptoms. On friday night I had a taco salad ( Meat, lettuce, cheese and some taco seasoning ). Right after my meal it started again ( cramps, bloating gas etc ). Then it clicked and I got the seasoning package and read it and it had some wheat in it.

So what do you all think? Low carb diet without gluten symptoms go away. Normal diet and all hell breaks loose. Are there other allergens in food that could cause this? How should I present this to the gastro?

Btw... im a 48 year old male. It would be really nice to get this last demon in my life under control.

Thanks

Bfromaz

You should definitely have the blood test and go from there and if all else fails, you know that eliminating wheat and other varients makes you feel better! If celiac is a dead end, or you can't find a dr to diagnose you, I would recommend having food allergy testing done. An immediate reaction after consuming could indicate a) celiac or B) additional food allergies ie milk, soy, etc. Good luck, sounds like you are on the right track with recognizing that food is the culprit for you ailments!

You need to be eating gluten for the testing to be as accurate as possible. If you have a blood test this week, take the results with a grain of salt as you've been mostly off gluten for awhile.

You have definately found a key to your problem. It's a pretty simple cause and effect to my way of thinking. Aren't you glad you had that aha! moment?