positivenrgfairy

How Soon Do You See A Reaction?

Rate this topic

I have been slowly cutting out gluten for the last several weeks and I cheated last night and I'm feeling pretty crummy today. There's no way one cheesy biscuit could possibly be making me feel so bloated and depressed this soon.

...is there?

Some react immediately. Others take hours before symptoms begin. After a significant ingestion, my symptoms develop in about 12 hours and are serious for a few days then decline and are gone in about a week.

When I say a significant ingestion, I am not referring to CC, but something like eating the wrong cookie by mistake.

I don't suppose that was what you were hoping to hear...

Some react immediately. Others take hours before symptoms begin. After a significant ingestion, my symptoms develop in about 12 hours and are serious for a few days then decline and are gone in about a week.

When I say a significant ingestion, I am not referring to CC, but something like eating the wrong cookie by mistake.

I don't suppose that was what you were hoping to hear...

So you have a reaction if you eat ONE cookie?

I have a reaction if someone uses the same fork for something with gluten and then I use it. Yes, even trace amounts make celiacs sick.

It's recommended that people go off gluten "cold turkey" and not slowly wean off of it becasue of the harm that even crumbs can do, although it is completely your personal choice to make, and tapering off may be better if it makes it easier for you and will help you stick to the diet in the future.

If I even have one little crumb of bread (or anything gluteny) I am sick for 4-5 days (FATIGUED AND MOODY big time, sometimes GI problems, stomach pain, bloating, etc. also) and it takes a full 7-10 days for me to be back to 100%.

On the plus side, you can take control of your health :) The gluten-free diet can be a healthier, more adventurous diet and you will feel SO much better once you commit to it 100%! Keep coming here for advice and support, talking to your DR, getting educated and you will do great.

Good luck,

Jillian

I have a reaction if someone uses the same fork for something with gluten and then I use it. Yes, even trace amounts make celiacs sick.

It's recommended that people go off gluten "cold turkey" and not slowly wean off of it becasue of the harm that even crumbs can do, although it is completely your personal choice to make, and tapering off may be better if it makes it easier for you and will help you stick to the diet in the future.

If I even have one little crumb of bread (or anything gluteny) I am sick for 4-5 days (FATIGUED AND MOODY big time, sometimes GI problems, stomach pain, bloating, etc. also) and it takes a full 7-10 days for me to be back to 100%.

On the plus side, you can take control of your health :) The gluten-free diet can be a healthier, more adventurous diet and you will feel SO much better once you commit to it 100%! Keep coming here for advice and support, talking to your DR, getting educated and you will do great.

Good luck,

Jillian

Are all celiacs like this? it seems that I've been finding people have a gluten sensitivity on many various levels. I'm very new to all of this. thank you for your help.

Yes, I do. I haven't had an incident in a long time, so it is hard to be sure, but in terms of an autoimmune trigger, one typical cookie contains a large amount of gluten.

Are all celiacs like this? it seems that I've been finding people have a gluten sensitivity on many various levels. I'm very new to all of this. thank you for your help.

Yes, all Celiacs have sensitivity to the smallest amounts of gluten. The difference between Celiacs is whether you have symptoms at all levels of ingestion. 1/48th of a slice of bread is enough to cause villi damage - so ONE cookie is most definitely going to cause problems for you, even if you don't have a visible reaction.

I react within 2 hours if it is serious ingestion (like eating a piece of bread) and within 24-48 hours if it is cross contamination. My symptoms gradually decrease over a week and then will sometimes pop up for randomly and last shortly for the next week or so.

I have been slowly cutting out gluten for the last several weeks and I cheated last night and I'm feeling pretty crummy today. There's no way one cheesy biscuit could possibly be making me feel so bloated and depressed this soon.

...is there?

ABSOLUTELY! "One" cheesy biscuit has a whole crapton of gluten, and you only need a TINY amount (crumbs), in order to start the immune reaction that damages the gut and causes the symptoms of celiac disease. Removal of gluten needs to be as close to 100% as you can do.

I tend to react somewhere between 30 minutes and 12 hours, depending on the level of contamination. I can't imagine how incredibly awful I would feel if I ate a whole bite of gluten-containing food. /urp

The autoimmune system in your body is microscopic so it can react to microscopic amounts of gluten.