Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surattius

Sorghum Reactions?

Hi,

I experience massive headaches after ingesting perhaps rather a lot of sorghum-based muffins. It wasn't a gluten reaction, it was something else entirely. Has anyone else found that sorghum gives them a nasty reaction? Any other flours I should watch out for?

Susan

Husband diagnosed by antibody test after Dermatitis Herpetiformis for over a year - 2000

Husband's brother and sister diagnosed - 2007?

Son diagnosed by antibody test after growth failure and low growth hormone Aug 28 2009

Gluten-free household: August 29, 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

I experience massive headaches after ingesting perhaps rather a lot of sorghum-based muffins. It wasn't a gluten reaction, it was something else entirely. Has anyone else found that sorghum gives them a nasty reaction? Any other flours I should watch out for?

Susan

My Husband who's gluten-intolerant, had a bad reaction to a sorghum-based recipe. Like you, it wasn't a gluten reaction but definitely a negative reaction. Haven't had the same issue crop up with potato starch or tapioca or rice.

Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

I have a friend who's entire family has a problem with sorghum. I will not try it, it's too close to corn, and I can't tolerate corn.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!