Blenderly

Good Doctor In Nelson, British Columbia?

Rate this topic

HI there,

I am looking for anyone who can direct me to a good doctor in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada, who takes us seriously. I will just give you a rundown of my experience:

Last year my family and I came back from 3 months in Central America. I was very sick. My dr. had me on all kinds of antibiotics, anti malarials, etc. After recovering, I got really sick again and just never got better, it's been about a year and a half now. I knew I was wheat intolerant, as I've been off of wheat for years, as has my father and my sister, but didn't know about gluten. I was so sick, all I was eating was brown rice and chicken broth. Then I broke out in a horrible blistery rash. I thought I was having an allergic reaction, and then I read the label on the broth, "wheat gluten."

I told my dr. about all my symptoms, diarrhea, nausea, vomitting, rash, pain in my colon, to name a few. I suggested celiac, and how my symptoms come after I eat gluten and can last for days, and he told me it was likely just irritable bowel and gave me a pamphlet. He did send me for a blood test. When I came back for the results, I had a fill in, my doctor was on holidays. The tests were negative. I asked her if it could be because I've been off wheat for so long, and she said maybe. But, did refer me to a gastroenterologist.

The gastroenterologist, acknowledged that I was most likely gluten intolerant, but would not agree with celiac, because I'm not skinny. He did do a scope to appease me, but didn't take a biopsy! And then told me it's just irritable bowel, reduce your stress and be careful what you eat.

I have some friends who tell me I just need to drink more water, or try accupuncture it helped their tummy troubles. Or that they get indigestion too. When I try to explain, they just say, "oh, did you get the doctor's confirmation on that?"

I would just like to find a doctor who will listen without having to go back on gluten. Is that possible? I've already lost 20 pounds being gluten free, and I don't want to go back to being that sick again!

Thank you for reading. It's really nice to have a place where people truly understand. If you could direct me to someone, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!