This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Panadol Paracetamol Starch In It?

Northland Lady

Northland Lady Rookie

I seem to be very sensitive to starch and i think there might be something in the paracetamol i am taking. The lady at the pharmacy said they use starch to bulk up the tablet. I am waiting to hear back from the company but i thought i would ask if any of you have problems with paracetamol.

i seem to be highly sensitive to starch but it may be something else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It could be safe but it also could not be. If you could give us the name of the company that makes it that may help but if it is a generic they can change the starch used at any time so each time you purchase it you need to check. If you seem to be having a gluten reaction I would stop taking it until you find out.

This drug is known as acetaminophen in the US the link can't tell you if it is gluten free or not but it is useful info to read through if you are taking the drug.

http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy/parac...daadvisory.html

Northland Lady Rookie
It could be safe but it also could not be. If you could give us the name of the company that makes it that may help but if it is a generic they can change the starch used at any time so each time you purchase it you need to check. If you seem to be having a gluten reaction I would stop taking it until you find out.

This drug is known as acetaminophen in the US the link can't tell you if it is gluten free or not but it is useful info to read through if you are taking the drug.

http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy/parac...daadvisory.html

I have just rang the company and Paracetamol has corn starch in it. For those who react to corn could you tell me if this amount would effect you?

Each tablet has 71.4mg per 650mg tablet

yesterday morning i reacted to something, not a bad reaction but still a reaction. I am on an elimination diet and only ate 2 things yesterday which i know to be fine. I took 4 panadols yesterday instead of my usual 2. So i thought it has to be the paracetamol, so i rang the company and to my surprise I found it has corn in it.

For those of you who have corn intolerance's would you have trouble with this amount?

I have trouble with corn but i am not sure how much corn can effect people.

mushroom Proficient

I take Panadol because I can't take anti-inflammatories of any kind. I have problems with corn in US but not in NZ. I have not had any corn issues with Panadol and when I was in the midst of an arthritis flare was taking six per day for two or three months, for whatever that is worth.

Northland Lady Rookie
I take Panadol because I can't take anti-inflammatories of any kind. I have problems with corn in US but not in NZ. I have not had any corn issues with Panadol and when I was in the midst of an arthritis flare was taking six per day for two or three months, for whatever that is worth.

thanks mushroom, how sensitive are you to corn? I do react to New Zealand corn, badly. Its is almost as bad as i react to pototates (potatoes are really really bad).

My arthritis seems to have gone with the gluten. But i do find potatoes makes my thumbs ache a little not as bad as gluten though!!

Thanks. :-)

mushroom Proficient
thanks mushroom, how sensitive are you to corn? I do react to New Zealand corn, badly. Its is almost as bad as i react to pototates (potatoes are really really bad).

My arthritis seems to have gone with the gluten. But i do find potatoes makes my thumbs ache a little not as bad as gluten though!!

Not as sensitive as to gluten. Bloating, gas, passing out if I eat too much corn, but that was before I knew. Now I can get away with a little, Garden of Eatin Corn Chips, one or two, and I have to admit I don't worry too much if corn is a very secondary ingredient. I am glad your arthritis went with the gluten :) I am not sure if my arthritis flare was caused by gluten or not; it came after my gluten-eating sister had visited, and also after I began taking a med that had gluten in it, but it lasted such a long time.... and I thought it was just a bad reaction to the med because I was expecting it until I realized that I felt like I had been glutened so I took the med for several days.

mushroom Proficient

Not as sensitive as to gluten. Bloating, gas, passing out if I eat too much corn, but that was before I knew. Now I can get away with a little, Garden of Eatin Corn Chips, one or two, and I have to admit I don't worry too much if corn is a very secondary ingredient. I am glad your arthritis went with the gluten :) I am not sure if my arthritis flare was caused by gluten or not; it came after my gluten-eating sister had visited, and also after I began taking a med that had gluten in it, but the arthritis lasted such a long time.... and I thought feeling bad was just a bad reaction to the med because I was expecting it until I realized that I felt like I had been glutened, so I took the med for several days before waking up.. :huh: Yeah, I break out in itchies all over with potatoes. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 8 years later...
Lucylou2013 Newbie
On 15/09/2009 at 5:49 AM, Northland Lady said:

I seem to be very sensitive to starch and i think there might be something in the paracetamol i am taking. The lady at the pharmacy said they use starch to bulk up the tablet. I am waiting to hear back from the company but i thought i would ask if any of you have problems with paracetamol.

i seem to be highly sensitive to starch but it may be something else.

Paracetamol has, potato starch, pregelatinized maize starch, talc, coloidal silica and magnesium stearate (can be corn derived), in. I am gluten free and corn free so am unable to take it due to the corn derivitive.

Archived