kristinnella

Chemical Peels Safe?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know anything about chemical peels in relation to celiac's disease? I'm concerned that there could be gluten in the chemical peel and I'll have a severe reaction.

You need to call the maker of the peel to ask. Also call about any lotions they may put on after the peel is done.

Hi there,

I did get the chemical peel. I only asked the nurse if it had gluten and she quickly said no - so I doubt she really looked. Afterwards I was really fatigued. By day three I had vomiting and diarrhea. I don't know if I caught a bug or if this is related to the chemical peel. I've now called the dermatologists office to get the scoop on the chemicals - I have a feeling they will be resistant to hand out this info - wary of lawsuits, etc. But I just need to know so that I don't do it again with this same chemical - in case that's why I've been sick.

Hi there,

I did get the chemical peel. I only asked the nurse if it had gluten and she quickly said no - so I doubt she really looked. Afterwards I was really fatigued. By day three I had vomiting and diarrhea. I don't know if I caught a bug or if this is related to the chemical peel. I've now called the dermatologists office to get the scoop on the chemicals - I have a feeling they will be resistant to hand out this info - wary of lawsuits, etc. But I just need to know so that I don't do it again with this same chemical - in case that's why I've been sick.

Kristinella...unless you swallowed some of the chemical, there is no need to fear a gluten episode from having a facial done. You could have a topical allergy to an ingredient in the product but that would be more in the lines of a rash or swelling. Gluten cannot pass through the skin and I HIGHLY doubt anyone would get some of the peel into your mouth, if it were done by a competent professional, which it sounds like you did. Anyone doing this kind of peel would use the utmost care in ensuring that nothing got into your mouth, nose or eyes as it would burn them.

I have a lot of experience with this type of thing and have never had any problems. I am an uber sensitive celiac who presented classically with the disease so I know these types of peels are perfectly safe, from much experience. You may have come down with a bug or reacted to some other food. It's easy to blame everything on gluten but, most times, it's not the culprit.

Hi there,

I would ask for the name of the product and the company that makes it and then call them. Unlike the last poster I and many others have issues with topical products. With so little known about our 'disease' and what we may react to I feel the 'jury is still out' on whether this could be an issue. We do know that we can be glutened by contact with mucous membranes, that is a fact and in some places they use a challenge on those membranes to diagnose rather than forcing us to eat gluten for weeks to see if we can do enough damage to show up on an intestinal biopsy.

Three days is the length of time it takes my body to progress to the intestinal effects of a glutening and if it was me I would be questioning the product also.

Also you have a legal right to know what it was exactly that they used on you.

I'm a licensed Esthetician and I still call the manufacturer of anything I put on my skin. I'm prone to topical reactions as well as internal. If I'm applying product I'm not sure about to a client I use vinyl gloves. I'm extremely sensitive Celiac and do not feel comfortable about having gluten absorbed into my skin or possible cross-contamination.

My gastroentologist told me I needed to be sure all my products are gluten-free. I discussed with him some on here are told as long as they don't ingest it it should be fine. It seems different doctors have different opinions on this one.

Just food for thought. :)

Does anyone know anything about chemical peels in relation to celiac's disease? I'm concerned that there could be gluten in the chemical peel and I'll have a severe reaction.

The TIMELESS PEEL by COSMEDIX is safe and a good peel to look into.