This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

ShayFL Enthusiast

The muffins are excellent! We like blueberry the best. :) I also have a recipe in one of the cookbooks for "Pound Cake".....and it is sooooo close to the real deal. I could eat a whole loaf in one sitting. But I force myself to one slice.

Everyone else gets to pass worms. I never do. I finally broke down and got the Humaworm took it for 6 weeks. Nothing other than reflux. SCD didnt produce any squigglers either. So either I never had any. Need new glasses to see them. Or they are just tough little buggers in there hanging on for dear life.

I did the SCD strictly for a good month. I am a little more relaxed now including Hemp and Chia. No issues with them. I also get a trace amount of inulin.

What is really seeming to heal me is Intestive (by Seacure), Pepzin GI and probiotics. My BM's are actually "formed" for the first time in my life. Just going gluten-free didnt do this. SCD didnt do it either. But 10 days in with these products and waaaalaaaaa!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
feelingbetter Rookie
This is great great news, and I hope more people with bipolar give this a try.

I passed worms second day on the SCD, and again a few days later. One thing I learned on the OMG thread is that parasites absorb mercury, and then the immune system cannot get at them because the mercury is so toxic. When they die, the mercury is released.

So I am thinking that it would be good to include some "binders" in the mix for many of us when we start SCD. I take chlorella, modified citrus pectin, and activated charcoal when I need it. I also do epsom salts baths when I get the muscle pain. All of this helps.

mftnchn- I also have been taking chlorella for the past 3 months. I also take betaine hcl, malic acid, multi vitamin, liquid iron, adrenal supplement, kelp, fish oil ,evening primrose oil, vit c, cit d, b1 ,zinc. I also give myself a b12 needle every week. My doctor is going to do bloodwork at the end of the month and will maybe pull me off some of this stuff.

I never knew that about the parasites giving off the mercury. That makes sense to me. That would explain why I felt so sick when I went gluten-free/cf and then again when I went SCD.

mftnchn Explorer
Everyone else gets to pass worms. I never do.

What is really seeming to heal me is Intestive (by Seacure), Pepzin GI and probiotics. My BM's are actually "formed" for the first time in my life. Just going gluten-free didnt do this. SCD didnt do it either. But 10 days in with these products and waaaalaaaaa!!

Shay, what I understand is that most of the parasites we pass are not recognizable.

How did you find out about the Seacure products?

mftnchn Explorer
I never knew that about the parasites giving off the mercury. That makes sense to me. That would explain why I felt so sick when I went gluten-free/cf and then again when I went SCD.

Not sure all parasites do, but the worms at least.

I think the sickness can be just due to die-off of the yeast, bad bacteria and stuff. I don't know if the worms dying themselves causes die-off, I don't remember about that, but the release of the mercury does cause symptoms if you can't excrete it.

Did the sickness wear off after a few weeks like the books says it will?

AliB Enthusiast

The book Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Natasha Campbell-McBride came a few days ago and it is incredibly interesting reading. I am working my way through it and will probably read it several times to really absorb the information. Her field is more neuro based - Autism, ADD, OCD, Schizophrenia, etc., but she shows how the bacteria gets out of hand and sets up serious imbalances within the body triggering all sorts of illnesses, both mental and physical. It is well worth the investment, and I have to say it and BTVC have to be the 2 most logical and valuable of all the resources I have. I might as well throw the rest away!

She has seen so many within her practice recover after following SCD and has reversed her own sons' Autism with the diet. I know it has to be the way I need to go in order to get better. We lead such busy lives though, it is hard to fit in the extra time needed for food prep. on the SCD.

mftnchn Explorer
The book Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Natasha Campbell-McBride came a few days ago and it is incredibly interesting reading.

Sounds like a fascinating book.

georgie Enthusiast
Hey, if we keep this up. we're going to overpower the omigod thread.

I am catching this thread late. What is SCD Diet and where are the recipes ? Is it like Atkins ? I always did well on Atkins but it was s..o... b..o..r..i..n..g.. I will try to read all the thread tomorrow but its late here and my brain is dead :lol: I have gained 10kg since being gluten-free and apart from feeling good the first month - have not felt any better since. Also lactose and now fructose light.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Georgie. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is basically about limiting your carbs to simple ones (mono-saccharides) found in fruits, most vegetables, good, well fermented home-made yogurt and perhaps a little honey if Candida is not a problem for you.

Any other carbs such as those found in grains (wheat, of course, rye, barley, oats, quinoa, buckwheat, millet and their ilk), starches (potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes and other root veg - although carrots are ok), sugar and lactose (all dairy other than yogurt) are considered 'illegal' foods.

The reason for this is because di-saccharides and poly-saccharides (the more complex carbohydrates in lactose and sugar, grains and starches) cannot be broken down properly by defective digestive systems and just end up feeding the rogue bacteria in our guts.

The rogue bacteria produce copious toxins that our bodies cannot cope with setting the stage for diseases and various illnesses. The problem can often be compounded by a shortage of stomach acid caused possibly by bacterial activity, mucous production or other factors. It's a vicious circle - low stomach acid allows pathogenic bacteria to survive in the stomach that would normally be destroyed by an efficient digestion, the bacteria then take up residence triggering further digestive distress and so it goes on. Some bacteria can actually neutralize the stomach acid!

The SCD focuses on plenty of good fresh meat, fish and poultry, fresh cooked and raw vegetables and fruit, preferably all organic to limit any further chemical input. At a later stage, once the gut has healed then it is quite likely that a fairly normal diet can be resumed. It can take a year or two, depending on the damage, and even then it is advisable to limit carbohydrates to their rightful place as an occasional treat rather than the 'all-day, every-day' consumption that is common in our 'Western' diet.

Those who drop gluten often end up replacing it with high-carb non-gluten foods and then can't understand why they aren't getting better. Sadly gluten is often only the tip of the iceberg. The problem is due to the digestions' inability to digest carbohydrates in general. The gut needs to be given the chance to heal before it can finally handle the more complex foods like starches, dairy and grains.

Good websites for further information are ones like

Pecanbread

Breaking the vicious cycle

SCD Recipes

Feel free to ask anything. We are all finding our feet in this diet and some have had great success. My progress is slow but at least it is progress. The little beasties are fighting like mad to get the upper hand and I am fighting like mad not to let them!

AliB Enthusiast

PS.

Adrenal Insufficiency, B12 deficiency and gluten intolerance can all be symptomatic of low stomach acid. Without enough acid enzyme production is not triggered properly.

When people get acid reflux or GERD, doctors seem to be robotically programmed to assume it is due to too much stomach acid when the converse is actually true. Without enough acid or strong enough acid food is fermented within the stomach by bacteria, creating gas that forces what acid there is up into the gullet.

Doctors further compound that problem by prescribing antacids or proton-pump inhibitors that just make things even worse. Some who have taken PPI's long-term actually end up with NO acid at all, and therefore no ability to digest anything!

Some bacteria is nutrient-chomping - they thrive on iron, causing anaemia, B12, causing PA, any amount of different deficiencies. My Mum was Anemic all her life. No one ever investigated - they just kept dishing the tablets. I now know it was due to insufficient acid and rogue bacterial activity.

pele Rookie

Hi everyone

Thought I would chime in quick just to say that we have had a parade of houseguests, gluten-eaters and celiacs among them, and I have managed to stay on the SCD despite ubitiquous pots and bowls of rice, potatoes, chocolate munchies, ice cream, etc. So I must be feeling better on the diet.

Here's to green beans

georgie Enthusiast
Those who drop gluten often end up replacing it with high-carb non-gluten foods and then can't understand why they aren't getting better. Sadly gluten is often only the tip of the iceberg. The problem is due to the digestions' inability to digest carbohydrates in general. The gut needs to be given the chance to heal before it can finally handle the more complex foods like starches, dairy and grains.

Thanks Ali, This is me to a T but I also seem fructose intolerant. I collapsed last week after a tomato soup containing fructose. Apples are bad for me etc. So how on earth would I manage a diet like this ? Atkins ? I did Atkins once and felt so well but gradually fell off the wagon .... I wasn't dx as Celiac back then either. I lost 3 stone and had such amazing energy. On the gluten-free diet I have gained 20 lbs !

ive Rookie
Thanks Ali, This is me to a T but I also seem fructose intolerant. I collapsed last week after a tomato soup containing fructose. Apples are bad for me etc.

Hi Georgie,

Apples are usually high in salicylates. Tomatoes are high in salicylates, amines and naturally occuring glutamates. So may be it is possible that you are actually not fructose intolerant but can not tolerate salicylates. You can read more about salicylates intolerance and Failsafe diet here: Open Original Shared Link

Here is a list of foods containing high amount of salicylates: Open Original Shared Link

I think there is a breath test for fructose intolerance (very similar to lactose intolerance), so you might ask your doctor to prescribe you this breath test and then you will know for sure whether you have fructose intolerance or something else.

Hope that helps.

AliB Enthusiast
Thanks Ali, This is me to a T but I also seem fructose intolerant. I collapsed last week after a tomato soup containing fructose. Apples are bad for me etc. So how on earth would I manage a diet like this ? Atkins ? I did Atkins once and felt so well but gradually fell off the wagon .... I wasn't dx as Celiac back then either. I lost 3 stone and had such amazing energy. On the gluten-free diet I have gained 20 lbs !

I sometimes have a problem with apples - it's weird though - a few months ago after not eating much in the way of apples for years because of allergic reactions, I decided to go on an apple fast. Over a period of perhaps 4 or 5 days I ate pretty nothing much but apples and was absolutely fine until one morning I had an apple for breakfast as I had done for the last few days and bang! I was hit with an allergic reaction.

Whether it was the type of apple, a chemical reaction to a spray (it wasn't organic) or just that I had over-acidified (or alkalinised) my body a step too far, I don't know but I dropped the apples like a hot brick (although I have had one or two since and was perfectly ok)! A few days later I had been having some lemon and honey water and I added a little apple cider vinegar to it and got hit by another allergic reaction. Again I could have over alkalised my body without realising. I had had the same drink earlier in the day without any problem. Very strange.

I too, way before my digestion collapsed, did Atkins and did very well on it too - I didn't go overboard with the protein, but I did low-carb and have always fared much better on that type of diet. The two times in my life I have ever lost weight and been well was on low-carb. Like you I fell off the wagon - stupid idiot that I am. If only I had kept it going I would not be in this mess now!

I twigged very quickly after dropping the gluten and dairy that my problem was with carbs in general and any carb now sends my digestion into complete turmoil. gluten-free carb foods are a lot higher in carb anyway so the less I eat of them the better, especially with the diabetes. I did start to improve after going gluten-free but my digestion is going backwards at the moment.

Whilst I am ok with a few foods - protein and veg and a few odd fruits like banana and blueberries, anything with sugar and carbs is a no-no. My stomach gets sore and I get pain in the middle of my back. I can eat a few more foods like eggs that I couldn't after the collapse and yesterday I had a little cheese but I am tolerating carbs less now than I was after the collapse. I just wish I knew what is going on inside my body!

Ive mentioned salicylates - I considered that as a possibility but I seem ok with most veg and that contains them. I don't tolerate aspirin - it makes my stomach very sore so I need to not go overboard with the veg. The amount in most veg is very small, but last year, before all this, I did the Alkalising diet. I was gaily eating loads of veg and salads and was losing weight - the Candida cleared up as did the IBS. I was sleeping better and felt better generally but after 5 weeks I had to stop it as my stomach got so sore I couldn't carry on.

That may well have been down to salicylates. If I had only eaten the veg I might have been ok, but I was also taking the 'green' drink and alkalising drops etc., which probably just pushed the salicylates over the top and may also have alkalised me too far!

Although our symptoms differ, it seems as though we might well be very similar in our reactions to, and problems with food!

mftnchn Explorer

Any of you not tolerate honey?

AliB Enthusiast

Well, kind of ok with honey but I tend to restrict it because of the bacterial infestation. although good for you, it is a pure source of glucose. You may find that eating honey triggers a bacterial reaction creating toxins that give you a problem. Might be as well to restrict it for a while and try having it in a few months when your digestion has settled and the bacteria has died back. Make sure you get a good pure honey - some has been adulterated with sugar which is a real no-no.

I had a problem with eggs when my digestion first collapsed but after about 3 months I could tolerate them.

mftnchn Explorer

Probably I do need to cut back honey. The honey really helps me stay with this though, as it satisfies a lot. I'm just having trouble determining what I tolerate and what I don't. I did bloat immediately after a yogurt and blueberry smoothie I made tonight with some honey. That's about the only symptom I get that is digestive. I don't know how to tell if the honey is okay if the label doesn't list any other ingredients.

BM quality is much better, formed and soft but the amount varies hugely. Sometimes only a tiny bit which doesn't seem right. The stool has improved in the month or so I have been on this diet.

Otherwise my symptoms are fatigue and aching but these are not immediate symptoms.

Any suggestions about figuring this out? Or is it just a matter of waiting for some months? I am more than one month in the diet.

redwriter1 Newbie

In response to the person who wanted something fatty to eat, we've been using the "no sugar added" bacon and haven't had any problems.

You can't get much more yummy than a bacon cheeseburger!! (on almond buns of course)

Kay

feelingbetter Rookie
Probably I do need to cut back honey. The honey really helps me stay with this though, as it satisfies a lot. I'm just having trouble determining what I tolerate and what I don't. I did bloat immediately after a yogurt and blueberry smoothie I made tonight with some honey. That's about the only symptom I get that is digestive. I don't know how to tell if the honey is okay if the label doesn't list any other ingredients.

BM quality is much better, formed and soft but the amount varies hugely. Sometimes only a tiny bit which doesn't seem right. The stool has improved in the month or so I have been on this diet.

Otherwise my symptoms are fatigue and aching but these are not immediate symptoms.

Any suggestions about figuring this out? Or is it just a matter of waiting for some months? I am more than one month in the diet.

You may not know this but the only yogurt allowed is the homemade one in the book that has been fermented for 24 hours. None of the store bought ones are scd legal. Many have lots of sugar in them. You may want to consider having only a couple teaspoons per week of honey if you are not feeling better. I would also consider giving up all dairy for awhile.

redwriter1 Newbie

When I make the 24 hr yogurt I use half & half because after I add a tsp of vanilla and some liquid sweetener it doesn't get so runny. My son (18) pours it over chunks of pineapple (canned, in it's own juice).

The yogurt is very key, you just can't leave it out. He felt better the first 2-3 days.. but the day we added the yogurt, everything just got excellent. That's our experience anyway.

Please keep a journal. The only smoothies we had in the beginning were the diluted grape juice, yogurt and some banana.

Fruits are different for everyone, so be very careful and start with fruits with no seeds.

I'm no expert, but Elaine is very specific in her book that you have to follow it to the letter (at least in the beginning)

Not sure if that helps.

Kay

mftnchn Explorer
You may not know this but the only yogurt allowed is the homemade one in the book that has been fermented for 24 hours. None of the store bought ones are scd legal. Many have lots of sugar in them. You may want to consider having only a couple teaspoons per week of honey if you are not feeling better. I would also consider giving up all dairy for awhile.

Yes I am making my own SCD yogurt with goat milk. Today I didn't have any yogurt but got a headache after dinner. Then had yogurt later and no symptoms. There isn't a consistent response I guess.

mftnchn Explorer
When I make the 24 hr yogurt I use half & half because after I add a tsp of vanilla and some liquid sweetener it doesn't get so runny. My son (18) pours it over chunks of pineapple (canned, in it's own juice).

The yogurt is very key, you just can't leave it out. He felt better the first 2-3 days.. but the day we added the yogurt, everything just got excellent. That's our experience anyway.

Please keep a journal. The only smoothies we had in the beginning were the diluted grape juice, yogurt and some banana.

Fruits are different for everyone, so be very careful and start with fruits with no seeds.

I'm no expert, but Elaine is very specific in her book that you have to follow it to the letter (at least in the beginning)

Not sure if that helps.

Kay

Thanks I have been extremely careful to follow the book, did the intro for 5 days, and have added things gradually. Still no raw, using the muffins though via Elaine's protocol for constipation. The only raw fruit I have used is blueberries, and I have ground them up in the blender with the yogurt. That is the only exception I have made to following the gradual stages on the www.pecanbread.com, and anyway according to those, I could progress there now anyway. Just have decided to stay on the cooked for 3 months hoping it will be helpful.

I may do the journal; I've done that in the past and not picked up too much as my reactions are pretty inconsistent.

By the way, I also make everything from scratch, not just reading labels and taking a risk. So unless I have gotten some honey that has been not pure or the Welches grape isn't pure or whatever, I don't think I have had anything questionable.

Did any of you just have a gradual improvement overall but other than that some ups and downs along the way? I feel like that is what is happening.

redwriter1 Newbie

It could be the honey or the blueberries or both, it's hard to tell unless you keep a journal and only add one ingredient at a time.

I would try the ripe bananas instead of the blueberries and see if that makes a difference.

If that's not it, I might try some saccarhine to sweeten the smoothie instead of honey and see if THAT makes a difference.

That's why the journal is very important. And yes, some people experience "die off" of the bad bacteria around 30 days, 3 months and 6 months.

Let me know how it goes.

Kay

Thanks I have been extremely careful to follow the book, did the intro for 5 days, and have added things gradually. Still no raw, using the muffins though via Elaine's protocol for constipation. The only raw fruit I have used is blueberries, and I have ground them up in the blender with the yogurt. That is the only exception I have made to following the gradual stages on the www.pecanbread.com, and anyway according to those, I could progress there now anyway. Just have decided to stay on the cooked for 3 months hoping it will be helpful.

I may do the journal; I've done that in the past and not picked up too much as my reactions are pretty inconsistent.

By the way, I also make everything from scratch, not just reading labels and taking a risk. So unless I have gotten some honey that has been not pure or the Welches grape isn't pure or whatever, I don't think I have had anything questionable.

Did any of you just have a gradual improvement overall but other than that some ups and downs along the way? I feel like that is what is happening.

Lshetler Rookie

I just started the SCD today. My previous diet was very good except for the brown rice. I made all my food, no preservatives, just fruit, veggies, rice, chicken and fish. Rice is all I have to cut to follow the diet.

Thus far I feel simply terrible, lol! I think it's withdrawls, which is probably a good thing. My stomach is fine, but my head just hurts. I'm not doing the yogurt, I seriously doubt I could handle it. I'll buy some acidophilus soon, my probiotics had bifidums in it, a big no-no on the SCD.

Anyways, getting a headache from not eating rice means I probably shouldn't be eating it in the first place. I'll keep you all posted on my results. I did talk to a nutritionist who said that some bad bacteria can still survive on other things, and that some people need anti-biotics then a bacteria re-admission over a year or so. There's a test you can take to determine what pathogens are in your digestive system, and she wants me to take it. I just don't have the money.

redwriter1 Newbie

Hi Lshetler:

I hope you have the book so you can follow it exactly. I'm not a big yogurt fan and neither was my son, but I finally made it with half & half and it was sooo much better. (not to mention adding vanilla and sacarchin)

But he told me today he didn't even need to eat it with pineapple anymore. yipeEeee!! That is a huge compliment.

If you need any help with any of the recipes.. just let me know! As I stated, I'm not a cook AT ALL, and if I can do it.. anyone can!

Kay

I just started the SCD today. My previous diet was very good except for the brown rice. I made all my food, no preservatives, just fruit, veggies, rice, chicken and fish. Rice is all I have to cut to follow the diet.

Thus far I feel simply terrible, lol! I think it's withdrawls, which is probably a good thing. My stomach is fine, but my head just hurts. I'm not doing the yogurt, I seriously doubt I could handle it. I'll buy some acidophilus soon, my probiotics had bifidums in it, a big no-no on the SCD.

Anyways, getting a headache from not eating rice means I probably shouldn't be eating it in the first place. I'll keep you all posted on my results. I did talk to a nutritionist who said that some bad bacteria can still survive on other things, and that some people need anti-biotics then a bacteria re-admission over a year or so. There's a test you can take to determine what pathogens are in your digestive system, and she wants me to take it. I just don't have the money.

redwriter1 Newbie

p.s. the yogurt is an absolute essential........ I really don't think it's an "option" to not have the 24 hour yogurt, and Mike jr. made a HUGE improvement as soon as he started eating it. Even if it was just a few bites a day!

Kay

Hi Lshetler:

I hope you have the book so you can follow it exactly. I'm not a big yogurt fan and neither was my son, but I finally made it with half & half and it was sooo much better. (not to mention adding vanilla and sacarchin)

But he told me today he didn't even need to eat it with pineapple anymore. yipeEeee!! That is a huge compliment.

If you need any help with any of the recipes.. just let me know! As I stated, I'm not a cook AT ALL, and if I can do it.. anyone can!

Kay

Archived