This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Cheap Gluten Free Food!

Chalula88

Chalula88 Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

My mom is a social worker and just informed me last month that an organization called Angel Food Ministries just started carrying a gluten free box!

The organization buys food in bulk and then resells it for very very cheap. You do not have to be needy or provide any information about your income to receive the food. You just order online and pick it up at your local site. There are a ton of locations and the people are friendly and the food is great!

For $35 last month I got the following, all gluten free:

1lb chicken nuggets

1lb chicken strips

2lb chicken legs

1lb beef steak

gravy

blueberry muffin mix

pancake mix

all purpose breading

It should be enough food for the average person (with some supplemental things) for 2-4 weeks. They have a new box every month! You can order as many boxes as you want each month!

Here is the link:

Open Original Shared Link

The food is really tasty and I have never been glutened by any of it! A lot of the food is free of other allergens as well, the ingredients are posted online.

They order as much as they need and you do not have to be low income to receive the food, so please don't feel bad ordering from them if you have a high income. The more support they get the more likely they are to stick around as they are working on a grant currently and need a good outcome!

I really hope this helps some of you out!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Northland Lady Rookie

Sounds great! pity i cant get it in New Zealand! :D

chasbari Apprentice
Hi Everyone!

My mom is a social worker and just informed me last month that an organization called Angel Food Ministries just started carrying a gluten free box!

The organization buys food in bulk and then resells it for very very cheap. You do not have to be needy or provide any information about your income to receive the food. You just order online and pick it up at your local site. There are a ton of locations and the people are friendly and the food is great!

For $35 last month I got the following, all gluten free:

1lb chicken nuggets

1lb chicken strips

2lb chicken legs

1lb beef steak

gravy

blueberry muffin mix

pancake mix

all purpose breading

It should be enough food for the average person (with some supplemental things) for 2-4 weeks. They have a new box every month! You can order as many boxes as you want each month!

Here is the link:

The food is really tasty and I have never been glutened by any of it! A lot of the food is free of other allergens as well, the ingredients are posted online.

They order as much as they need and you do not have to be low income to receive the food, so please don't feel bad ordering from them if you have a high income. The more support they get the more likely they are to stick around as they are working on a grant currently and need a good outcome!

I really hope this helps some of you out!

They are good. Funny though, the only gluten I received in the last half year was from their pork chops in the meat package which were processed with some sort of gluten. I read it on the label, stored them for other in the family and they came back to haunt me... lack of due diligence on my part, not theirs as it was properly labeled on the box. great value. We use the pre-prepped meals to help my parents keep food on the table as my dad is the one having to do the re-heat---er---cooking for them....

CS

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I know of several people who order the gluten free/allergy free food boxes even though they are not considered "low income". Gluten free food is expensive for everyone, especially the frozen convenient foods. Those are so nice to have on hand when cooking from scratch is not an option. I think I am going to place an order myself! Thanks for the link!

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Sounds great.....do you happen to know what brand(s) the gluten free food is??? I would love to do this since we are on a really tight budget, but my dd is also very sensitive. Knowing the brand or company that produces the food might help me feel more secure in ordering. Thanks!!!

minniejack Contributor

That's really weird, I was just thinking about them the other day. I've told many people about this ministry, but I didn't know about the allergen box. Thanks for the tip!

Chalula88 Apprentice

The allergen box is brand new! I got it last month and it was the first time it was offered.

The food is made especially for angel food ministries I believe, at least all of the labels say angel food ministries on them. The ingredients are listed online and on every package so that should help you make a decision regarding how safe they are for your family. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I have seen that but it's not available in my area. I think the breaded meat is from allergy free foods, but I could be wrong.

ETA: It is. They have a link on their website. I have not tried their meats, but the cornbread is delicous! We also like their faux cheeses and while I like the gravy, you do have to add broth so I might as well just make my own. The chocolate cake is also excellent but you have to get it through QVC now and it's expensive. It freezes well though.

wildwood Apprentice

I have ordered the allergen free box from Angel Food Ministries several times over the last six months. Last month they started including pancake mix, etc. We have not tried the pancake mix and such yet. My daughter is in college and has an apartment this fall so this helped stock her freezer. She really enjoys the chicken tenders. She has had no problems eating these foods.

Kay-dee Newbie

Does anyone know of something similar available in Canada?

bahrbdoll Rookie

Thank you So much- You have no idea how much this will help my entire family, celiacs or not! This is truely a blessing, I thought for sure there would be no place around me- but there's a site like 25 miles away. Thank you again!

• 1 month later...
MisoSushi Newbie

This thread needs a severe bump, this food is crazy cheap and super good. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with angel food ministries.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
This thread needs a severe bump, this food is crazy cheap and super good. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with angel food ministries.

:)

there's one about 45 miles away from me, and I've a friend who lives here but was raised there,k and goes often.....I'm going to see if she can pick up a box for me.

Great info, thanks!

KristaleeJane Contributor
Does anyone know of something similar available in Canada?

I also was wondering if there was anything like this available in Canada, it sounds great!! Hopefully if there isn't there will be soon!

nmlove Contributor

I just checked out this site (thanks by the way!) and was excited to see a pick up right in my town. But then I was bummed because next month's box are just breaded meats. Maybe December...

digmom1014 Enthusiast

Just wondering, why are people not eating the breaded meats in the allergy free box? Are they not gluten-free and the box is for other allergies? I mean do they target specific allergies and not target the gluten-free community?

nmlove Contributor
Just wondering, why are people not eating the breaded meats in the allergy free box? Are they not gluten-free and the box is for other allergies? I mean do they target specific allergies and not target the gluten-free community?

I just assumed regular flour. There's no way to tell for sure. If anyone has insights, I'd like to hear. I don't much care for the breaded meat anyway. Once in a while is ok but a whole box of breaded meat?

Wolicki Enthusiast

I just ordered a box. They reduced the price to $23!

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

WOW! thanks so much for posting this! The allergen free box is $23 now! I looked it up on the site and there is a host site 1 mile down the road from me!!!! definitly placing an order :D

Archived