This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Severe Corn Allergy Also & Looking For Help!

bikerblue

bikerblue Newbie

Hi everyone. I have been gluten free for almost two years now and have slowly since that time just been getting worse and worse with nausea, stomach cramping, fatigue, vomiting, etc. I have now realized that I have a severe corn allergy and have been off corn now for the last four to six weeks. I am really struggling. My weight has dropped quite a bit and I'm just having a hard time emotionally. I have been fighting with my health for four years now after the birth of my daughter. Since then there just hasn't been one good day without any pain, nausea or something and I feel some days it is tearing me apart. I'm not trying to lose weight but with such a limited diet it is hard and I am fearful that I am to the point that I don't want to eat because I just don't want to get sick. It is a constant struggle that I fight with every day. My kids know mom is sick again. I usually try to wait to eat a bigger meal late in the evening when things are about done around the house so in case I am sick that my whole day isn't shot.

It just feels like it is one thing on top of another and I just want to feel well. I'm so tired of dealing with the sickness. I think my body is just so sensitive at this point and I have to be so careful but yet when I think I am... I don't know.

Anyone else out there have a corn allergy along with the gluten? I could use some advice please!!!! Thank you!!!

Tami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't have a corn allergy, but the only thing I can suggest is keeping it REALLY simple. Just a few, very easy to digest, very basic, whole foods. Avocados are easy to digest and high in calories, which is good for you at this point. Rice is _usually_ fairly easy on people (white rice), but maybe it's not for you. Chicken's often suggested as being fairly easy on the system, but if it's not for you, maybe lamb would be better. If you're not nut-allergic, coconut milk, in moderation!, may help get some calories in you, as will peanut butter (don't even have to put it on anything!). (Definitely stay away from canned food... that corn derived citric acid and all...)

I'm sorry it's been such a struggle for you, and I hope that your doctors are continuing to work with you to help identify what's going wrong. I'm sure some of the other members will have some good advice as well.

judy05 Apprentice

Hi Tami,

I also have an intolerance to corn as well as wheat, egg whites, yeast, and dairy. I recently started to avoid corn because I had a test done at York labs. It is discouraging because corn is in so many products and is also hidden under different names. In order to keep from being overwhelmed by all of this, I am sticking to the very basics, meat, veggies, fruits. I know it is hard not to eat processed foods. I am keeping a food diary on the table to keep track of what I eat and how it affects me. I also have to keep track of my blood sugars because the rice flours, which I had been using, sent my blood sugar up. I have been gluten-free/df for 15 months, now I have all these other foods to watch for. Just try to take it day by day. York labs said you can re-introduce these foods at a later time. They say to try to test on the ones you are least allergic to first. I never want to go back on gluten but I would like to somday be able to try the others. The only dairy that i can tolerate is sharp cheddar.

I found this website www.cornallergens.com/list.htm.

I hope this has helped, you are not alone <_<

bikerblue Newbie

Oh it does feel good to know I am not alone. I did check out that website and it has a lot of interesting information on it. I react so severely and I just get leary of eating. I know I need to and I do try to keep it very simple. I eat a lot of plain meat and veggies, rice. I am a very active person and the weight just keeps slipping down but yet exercising keeps me sane and is my outlet. I have let up on it some but it doesn't seem to have helped too much.

ALso I am soooooo tired... every day I just feel exhausted. My doctors around here think I am crazy I think and want me to go to the Mayo Clinic. I hate to go that route. I just keep thinking I take away the food that is bothering me and I'll be fine. Corn is a hard one to get rid of but I think I have been doing pretty good in that way.

Maybe I need to go even blander. I did try doing some juicing of vegetables to get some extra calories in and I was hoping to energize me but I was getting so nauseated from it. I don't know why that would be. It is just sooo frustrating. Do you find yourself enough food without the corn also or just feeling deprived? It just seems when I feel I am on the right track I get thrown off again.... Usually I am so positive about all this but I am so tired of feeling like crap!!!! Plus people just don't understand! Sorry for the rambling... I'm just feeling lost these days!! :(

Tami

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't understand the hesitancy in going the Mayo Clinic? Perhaps they can help you find what's wrong - and it might not be another food intolerance...

bikerblue Newbie

I guess my hesitancy lies in that I have been to several doctors and they have never found anything. I am so tired of doctoring and I think if it is just food allergies then I need to work through that. Since taking gluten and corn out, I have done so much better. I still suffer with fatigue and occasional episodes going on. I need to monitor and if things would continue though I am corn free and gluten free, then I would have to take that step. But right now I just don't feel ready for that.

I want to try to be as careful with my diet with eating very simply and seeing what happens from there. I guess I just don't know what the right step is to be honest with you....

Archived