jasonD2

Will My Digestion Be Messed Up For Life?

Rate this topic

In addition to celiac I have all these food sensitivities and recent GI tests revealed candida & C.difficle overgrowth along with malabsorption markers. Ive been pumping myself with probiotics (Ther Biotic Complete & Symbion & S. Boulardi). I had to stop the boulardi cause it was causing bad constipation, however, the other probiotics are causing problems as well. I pretty much need to take magnesium or oxypowder every single night or i wont go at all. Will i ever be able to get my system balanced out? If probiotics are supposed to help then why are they constipating me? seems like most people who take probiotics have improved bowel function but not me

A lot of probiotics have dairy and I noticed your sig says you are lactose intolerant. Do you like saurkraut? If you do you could try eating that once a day for a bit instead as it has the same good stuff as the bottled probiotics. If you have issues with dairy that may be causing the C.

No I take probiotics that are dairy (and allergen) free

As the PP said the fermented cabbage is excellant for the gut. You could look over the SCD diet that has a long thread under leaky gut. It is reported to be good for the conditions you have and the thread can tell you all you need to know about it. I think it would do you good. I don't follow it to the letter but I have improved my health with what I have learned.

problem is if i cut out the carbs i lose weight- and i cant afford to lose any more

That is a problem. But it doesn't stop all carbs just has you focus on certain ones. I was only saying some carbs are a problem for me. But you could look at a few pages of the thread and see what you think. Maybe you could put some of your problems to them and see what those folks say.

The reason I mention it is many of the people who contribute to that thread tend to have similar problems to the ones you have mentioned. They have lived with it and are improving their digestion so I felt you might find some valuable info there.

In addition to celiac I have all these food sensitivities and recent GI tests revealed candida & C.difficle overgrowth along with malabsorption markers. Ive been pumping myself with probiotics (Ther Biotic Complete & Symbion & S. Boulardi). I had to stop the boulardi cause it was causing bad constipation, however, the other probiotics are causing problems as well. I pretty much need to take magnesium or oxypowder every single night or i wont go at all. Will i ever be able to get my system balanced out? If probiotics are supposed to help then why are they constipating me? seems like most people who take probiotics have improved bowel function but not me

In my experience probiotics helped normalize regularity. Whether I had hard stools or diarrhea, taking probiotics helped me have more 'normal' stools.

However, my doc discouraged me from using S. Boulardi with c-diff treatment, because several of his other patients developed yeast overgrowth even from that 'beneficial' yeast (SB). When I had candida (yeast) overgrowth, I was chronically constipated. So perhaps S. boulardi overgrowth caused your current constipation.

Also, my initial symptoms for c-diff were constipation, not diarrhea. So ongoing (or even recurrent) c-diff infection could influence your constipation. C-diff is often difficult to eliminate (25% of cases get recurrences). I had 3 recurrences even after taking flagyl and vancomycin in addition to probiotics. I'm now doing tapered or 'pulse' dosing with vancomycin, which studies have shown to successfully resolve recurrent c-diff. I have experienced NO constipation since I started treating for c-diff 4 months ago. That's a long time for me, because I had chronic constipation most of my life. I had also taken magnesium supplements for years just to have regular (yet hard) bowel movements. While treating for c-diff I needed to reduce how much magnesium I take to avoid diarrhea.

Do you have any other c-diff symptoms, like bloating, gas, cramping pain, dizziness or nausea?

SUE

One comment -- I notice that you do not have celiac disease. So just curious, why are you posting on this site? It seems like your issues would be better addressed via a forum that deals with constipation and leaky gut.

Just trying to keep the forum focused.

One comment -- I notice that you do not have celiac disease. So just curious, why are you posting on this site? It seems like your issues would be better addressed via a forum that deals with constipation and leaky gut.

Just trying to keep the forum focused.

All are welcome to post on this site as long as they are respectful of others and follow the board rules. In addition the poster actually has been diagnosed as producing antibodies to gluten which makes him gluten sensitive or celiac and he has a gene that is associated with it. DQ8.