This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chebe Foccacia Bread

jststric

jststric Contributor

I have just finished trying to make the Chebe Foccacia Bread for about the 6th time. It has yet to turn out. I USED to be a good cook! I cannot get the hang of baking and going to hurt someone if I can't start to get some sort of bread!! My problem is that I am not only gluten-intolerant, but also rice, egg, dairy, bean......and many other things. So you see that most of the alternative foods used in making gluten-free breads is on my no-no list. So, in trying to make the Chebe, I have used Ener-G Egg Replacer for the 2 eggs the directions call for. The "bread" will only crisp on the outside but the inside is rubbery----like its not done. Not doughy, but doughy and RUBBERY. The outside will never golden-up....it remains white. Am I doing this to myself?? Any suggestions, PLEASE!!!! :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor
I have just finished trying to make the Chebe Foccacia Bread for about the 6th time. It has yet to turn out. I USED to be a good cook! I cannot get the hang of baking and going to hurt someone if I can't start to get some sort of bread!! My problem is that I am not only gluten-intolerant, but also rice, egg, dairy, bean......and many other things. So you see that most of the alternative foods used in making gluten-free breads is on my no-no list. So, in trying to make the Chebe, I have used Ener-G Egg Replacer for the 2 eggs the directions call for. The "bread" will only crisp on the outside but the inside is rubbery----like its not done. Not doughy, but doughy and RUBBERY. The outside will never golden-up....it remains white. Am I doing this to myself?? Any suggestions, PLEASE!!!! :o

bummer! I just ordered this mix from a food coop.....

It may not be anything you are doing at all. I am speaking from limited experience but the first pizza mix we tried was just ok... a tad spongey. The next brand we tried came out great. The only thing I can think is that maybe the egg substitute just isn't reacting right with the other ingredients of the mix. When I get my mix, I will let you know how it comes out... I will be using regular eggs....

jststric Contributor

thank you, I appreciate it! I'm sure it must be the eggs because I forgot to mention that it has never "risen". It remains flat....or however I shape it when I put it in the oven. I think the eggs are involved in that rising action.

Janessa Rookie

I use chebe all the time and I love it but I can have eggs, I had to make it once without eggs and it was as you described white, didn't rise and gummy inside

If you still have some at home I recommend you make crackers (I usually use the cinnamon mix but you could add cinnamon or other flavors) and roll them very thin otherwise you get a chewy cracker instead of crisp

Janessa Rookie

Check out this website, she has lots of recipes that are free of eggs, dairy ect and everything I have made from here has been amazing

Open Original Shared Link

jststric Contributor

thank you all so much. I miss my eggs, lol.

gfsourdough baker Newbie

Hi J,

I have made some great progress making gluten free sourdough bread. I am also allergic to eggs, dairy, yeast, and I have had trouble with some of the common gluten free ingredients like chick pea flour and tapioca flour. I experimented for a few years and came up with some really workable techniques and recipes. So far, all my recipes are rice based but I am working on a recipe for someone that uses millet as a base. Please look at the free recipes on my blog so you can get an idea of how sourdough can work for people with multiple allergies.

Open Original Shared Link

Please email me if you have questions.

Good Luck!

sharon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
thank you all so much. I miss my eggs, lol.

I do chebe, I don't really think you can do it without eggs. But the cracker thing might work, if you roll it REALLY thin.

Regarding the eggs, can you have duck eggs? I've talked to a lot of people who react to chicken eggs but not duck eggs. Depending on how severe your reaction is to eggs, it might be worth a shot if you want to risk it.

Archived