So Frustrated

Could These Symptoms Mean Celiac?

Rate this topic

I have been suffering with joint pain for ten years. When I have a flare it lasts for 6 months to 1.5 years. It typically hurts on both sides, both wrists or knees etc. It only affects one body part at a time and then it moves. I have epescleritis in my right eye once a month but only for three days at a time. I also get hives on the tops of my toes if my feet get cold. I also have had the pain move to my bladder area which they said could be urethraritis. They did a cystoscopy that came back normal. I went through menopause at 30 years of age. When I'm pregnant all of my symptoms went away, I felt great but did become hypothyroid. All blood tests always come back normal, there is no sign of Rhumatoid as I test negative and never swell, I also test negative to Lupus. The medicine I use and find works is called Tramacet.

Please help shed a light on these unusual symptoms!!

I have been suffering with joint pain for ten years. When I have a flare it lasts for 6 months to 1.5 years. It typically hurts on both sides, both wrists or knees etc. It only affects one body part at a time and then it moves. I have epescleritis in my right eye once a month but only for three days at a time. I also get hives on the tops of my toes if my feet get cold. I also have had the pain move to my bladder area which they said could be urethraritis. They did a cystoscopy that came back normal. I went through menopause at 30 years of age. When I'm pregnant all of my symptoms went away, I felt great but did become hypothyroid. All blood tests always come back normal, there is no sign of Rhumatoid as I test negative and never swell, I also test negative to Lupus. The medicine I use and find works is called Tramacet.

Please help shed a light on these unusual symptoms!!

Hi and welcome!

Sorry to hear about the circumstances that bring you here though! It's so difficult to suffer from multiple unexplained symptoms for years....I hope you get your answers and feel better soon!

Some of your symptoms, such as being hypothyroid and early menopause, do sound like they could be celiac-related. I'm not certain about the others.

What I can say is that whatever's going on with you sounds as though it could be some sort of autoimmune process.

On a whim, I went to the website WrongDiagnosis.com and plugged in the following symptoms into their symptom checker:

Episcleritis AND Joint pain AND Oligomenorrhoea AND Rash AND Urinary symptoms.

The only match in their system for all of these symptoms was lupus.

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosympt...ry-symptoms.htm

Of course, this is NOT a diagnosis, and they say this on the website (Do not use for diagnosis).

Have you ever tried the gluten free diet to see if it made you feel better?

JoAnn

What I can say is that whatever's going on with you sounds as though it could be some sort of autoimmune process.

Have you ever tried the gluten free diet to see if it made you feel better?

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that it's very possible to have more than one autoimmune disorder at a time. I'm a great example of that! :(

The good news is that many people have said that the gluten free diet has helped most or all of their illnesses go into remission, although it takes time.

You do have a puzzling set of symptoms and I wish you the very best in your quest to figure out what's going on.

Take care,

JoAnn

In regards to the joint pain: I went through the whole gambit of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis tests to find out I had a vitamin D deficiency as an aquatics director who was always outside! Have you had your vitamin D checked? Do you have high inflammation/sed rates?

I can feel when my vitamin levels are low, I get the joint pain back fast if I forget my vitamins. You can take a gluten free vitamin D pill of 400mg a day and see if you feel better after a month. I had to take prescription doses to get back on track and you may need to as well b/c mine was about 5 years of pain.

I get the hives, stomach pains, urinary problems very often after touching gluten things, cross contamination, or ingestion. I would not rule it out!

Your symptoms going away and feeling great during pregnancy sounds like my sister who is primary immune deficient and I am auto. Sounds like some immune system issues going on there b/c when you are pregnant you have a boosted immune system.

Best of luck!

In regards to the joint pain: I went through the whole gambit of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis tests to find out I had a vitamin D deficiency as an aquatics director who was always outside! Have you had your vitamin D checked? Do you have high inflammation/sed rates?

I can feel when my vitamin levels are low, I get the joint pain back fast if I forget my vitamins. You can take a gluten free vitamin D pill of 400mg a day and see if you feel better after a month. I had to take prescription doses to get back on track and you may need to as well b/c mine was about 5 years of pain.

I get the hives, stomach pains, urinary problems very often after touching gluten things, cross contamination, or ingestion. I would not rule it out!

Your symptoms going away and feeling great during pregnancy sounds like my sister who is primary immune deficient and I am auto. Sounds like some immune system issues going on there b/c when you are pregnant you have a boosted immune system.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the reponse! Do you also suffer from Celiac? When you had joint pain how severe would it get? I have to wear braces on my wrists as they can't bend at all. Can that pain get that bad with a vitamin deficientcy? I just got a test back which noted that my Vitamin D level was a little low and that was with me taking 1,000 I.U of D3 each day, they now have my taking 2,000.

Any info would be helpful!