jasonD2

Shared Equipment

Rate this topic

how safe are the gluten-free products that indicate "shared equipment" "same facility as" , etc, etc

I just dont see what the point is in having gluten free food if there is potential cross contamination. Does anyone eat gluten-free food that has these warnings?

the health food store i go to is really good about labeling gluten-free products but on some of them I still find these allergan statements

Does anyone eat gluten-free food that has these warnings?

Yes and no. Depends on the brand. My children are super sensitive and the only time they've ever had a reaction was from school or a restaurant. Never have they been glutened inside my home with said purchased products. From what I gather from others here, it really is a personal decision--some do, some don't ;)

I don't eat products marked "made on shared equipment" since every single time I have, I've gotten sick.

As for made in the same facility, it depends whether it's a brand I trust--trust formed by trial and error. That said, I don't use very many packaged products.

I, seemingly, am not a diagnosed Celiac but very intolerant. Along with many other foods. Not even "official" allergies, if you believe allergy tests, lol. But I cannot seem to get away with eating ANYTHING that is marked "made in same facilities as........." They get me everytime.

I don't eat products marked "made on shared equipment"

Us either-ever!

I do often have products made on shared lines. I try to keep aware of what companies have caused many other people to react, what products are more likely to be an issue, and if I've ever reacted to something.

Some people do have issues, some don't.

You have to decide for yourself.

This question is a classic that keeps coming up. I'll raise four points about it.

Do you have any gluten-containing products in your house? If so, your house is a "shared facility."

If the above is true, do you wash all your dishes in the same sink or dishwasher? If so, you have "shared equipment." Um, your dishes and cutlery would be shared regardless of how you wash them. Unless you have two sets of each, two stoves, separate washing facilities, etc.

Do you ever eat at a restaurant? If so, it is almost certain that the restaurant is a "shared facility" and all of its dishes and cutlery are "shared equipment."

And finally, declaration of shared facilities or equipment is totally voluntary at this time. If they tell you, fine, but if they don't say anything you can't assume that the facility and equipment are not shared.

I consider the type of facility and type of product when making my personal decision about each situation. What is right for me may not be right for you.

Good points Peter, I've never thought of it that way!