pbennett

Baking With Rice Flours

Rate this topic

I'm curious and working on a research project...

If you could bake with 100% rice flour and not have to use a baking mix - and have a very moist cake, would you be interested? No potato starch, no cornstarch....you do have to use Xanthan, though.

pb

Sure. What's your idea?

I've always wondered if grinding up minute rice would make a better rice flour. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for responding:-)

I haven't published it yet because I'm waiting to see if there's a market for it. People seem to be pretty ingrained now on using mixes and alternative flours. This is a method - not a product - that no one seems to know about, except maybe some commercial processors. I've searched EVERYWHERE and no one seems to know about it. That's why I'm polling the boards to see if people would be interested. In my mind, it's important especially for people with limited budgets. The only downside to the method is that it takes a little longer than a regular cake.

But, seriously, you can make a very moist cake that will stay moist for days with just 100% rice flour and Xanthan - no mixes or alternative flours.

How many of you guys would be interested?

Sure. What's your idea?

Depends on what's in it. We can't have dairy or eggs.

How many of you guys would be interested?

Count me in; ditto on the no dairy though. I usually substitute anyway so I'd like to see it regardless though.

Count me in! I'm always up for experimenting in the kitchen!

im interested but i guess im not sure if you're just talking about a recipe book or just an idea here. im sure some of us have tried one flour baking before (i have!)

let us know what you're talking about