ranger

Safe Oils

Rate this topic

I read somewhere that most of the oils I use for frying (olive, canola,ect.) turn into transfats once they're heated, and that we should only use lard or butter. Anyone no if this is true?

This is a myth. The only way to turn olive oil (or any vegetable oil) into trans fat is thru the process of hydrogenation.

Hydrogenation is how shortening is made from vegetable oil. The hydrogen saturated form of the fat along with the "trans" form of incompletely hydrogenated molecules causes it to be a solid at room temperature. Studies show this type of fat may be more dangerous that animal fat.

Excessively heating olive oil does evaporate the delicate flavors (esters and alcohols), inherent in good olive oil, and desirable antioxidant compounds can be lost. For frying it's better to use a cooking oil with a higher "smoke" point like canola oil or even peanut oil. Olive oil is too expensive for deep frying.

Burning any kind of oil/fat can produce polyclyclic aromatic compounds that can be dangerous. (not all of them are) These are the same compounds formed from grilling meat over hot coals and the fat burns. It is thought when these compounds are processed (mainly by the liver), the oxidation process produces free radicals and other substances that cause cancer, etc.

I agree that it's better to avoid hydrogenated fats like shortening and margarine, because of the saturated and trans fats. May be much better to use vegetable oils and butter instead. I avoid lard because of the cholesterol and LDL.

Hope that helps, and not too much info. ;)

That sounds more like it to me. Wanted to check for piece of mind.. I use canola oil for frying (don't often fry), and either Olive oil or butter for sauteing. Big butter fan- use it and have for years with HDL of 95. I can't even say the "M" word! Thanks.