yogamommytrainer99

Antibody Levels Are Still High

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in late June and had 8 weeks of fatigue and belly problems. Within the past month I have had more energy and my belly symptoms have decreased. I had my anitbodies tested again and they are still high. I am getting glutened some how. I don't eat out much - I am careful at home. I read all my food labels and I try to eat fresh foods to limit packaged ones. What else is there to do?

IMHO it was too early for them to test you again. Most times it is advised to wait for 6 months to retest. It takes time for the antibodies to leave the system. If you are feeling better keep at it and try to go with as much fresh unprocessed foods as you can. If you still seem to be reacting to stuff a food log can help to pinpoint where gluten could be sneaking in. Also make sure to become knowledgeable about CC issues and it may help to make sure you have also eliminated gluten from all non food sources as well. Make sure you are also checking your supplements and all meds with the companies that make them. Some supplements will have wheat or barley grass or even oats so read ingredients even if they say gluten free on the label.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in late June and had 8 weeks of fatigue and belly problems. Within the past month I have had more energy and my belly symptoms have decreased. I had my anitbodies tested again and they are still high. I am getting glutened some how. I don't eat out much - I am careful at home. I read all my food labels and I try to eat fresh foods to limit packaged ones. What else is there to do?

I was diagnosed this past January and just got my antibodies retested two weeks ago. I'm 75% improved, but I know it's been a slow process. Just give it time. It's too early to freak out. :)

As far other places where gluten can be, you may want to check any lip products, shampoo, medications, vitamins...those things can be easily overlooked. Have you replaced your toaster?

It is FAR too early to be re-tested for antibodies and do not assume you are ingesting gluten. It can take up to 2 years for antibodies to come down to normal levels.

FYI....I do not screen topical products for gluten, except for those products which go on my lips. The gluten molecule is too large to pass through the skin so unless you get something in your mouth, you cannot be glutened by using lotions or shampoos. My antibody tests always come back in the really low end of normal so I know it has worked for me. If your symptoms and fatigue are abating, then you have probably done things correctly and just need time for everything to return to normal. If you were ingesting gluten, you'd still be sick.

I would wait at least another 6 months to re-test, unless you develop problems/symptoms again. Good luck!