Rate this topic

Someone in a recipe said that they use "gluten free deli turkey".... Do certain brands of deli meats possibly contain gluten and others do not?

Someone in a recipe said that they use "gluten free deli turkey".... Do certain brands of deli meats possibly contain gluten and others do not?

Yes, from what I have read it is possible for one type of turkey or ham or whatever to contain gluten and another does not. It depends on what they add to it to either preserve it, as a filler, or to make it taste better. Your best bet is to talk to the nutritionist at your grocery store to see if they have a listing of products their store sells that are gluten free. I know that here in Nebraska a lot of the stores keep this notebook on hand in the health food section. It has by brand and type all the foods they sell that are gluten free including the deli meat at the deli and the prepackaged deli meats.

Also, if you get deli meat from the actual deli I have found it is best to go at a time when they are not busy -- such as early morning or later in the evening so that you can ask them to use a slicer that is clean. It kind of defeats the purpose of getting a gluten free deli meat if they are cutting it with a slicer that has been used with gluten products all day...

Boar's Head and Hormel Natural Choice (both prepackaged) deli meats are gluten free and tasty, too!

Deli or sandwich meats are virtually all gluten-free. Read the ingredients.

richard

I've had reactions from sliced turkey when I first went gluten-free, so I read all deli meat ingredients (well I read all ingredients now and don't buy the item if I'm not sure it's gluten-free)

I've found some deli meats label themselves gluten-free, but many don't. Just yesterday I was frustrated while trying to find roast beef at PriceClub....many had modified food starch, carmel coloring and natural flavoring.

Oh and another fun one...at Henry's at the deli counter the butcher said "why would there be wheat in any of these meats?" I tried to explain what gluten is to no avail.

You win some, you lose some :)

I've had reactions from sliced turkey when I first went gluten-free, so I read all deli meat ingredients (well I read all ingredients now and don't buy the item if I'm not sure it's gluten-free)

I've found some deli meats label themselves gluten-free, but many don't. Just yesterday I was frustrated while trying to find roast beef at PriceClub....many had modified food starch, carmel coloring and natural flavoring.

Most don't because there's no official limit yet. But there's a requirement that all gluten be listed in meat.

richard

The item you need to check on is the natural flavoring. If modified food starch is from wheat it should be listed as such but gluten can hide in the natural flavoring.

Oh and another fun one...at Henry's at the deli counter the butcher said "why would there be wheat in any of these meats?" I tried to explain what gluten is to no avail.

You win some, you lose some :)

Well, if there were wheat, it would have to be listed.

Can anybody provide specific examples of deli meats that they know DEFINITELY have gluten. Tell us which country. I remember a pickle loaf meat (ughh) that once had it (Boarshead), but the wheat in that has since been eliminated.

richard