TinaM

Subbing Oil For Shortening/butter In Cookies

Rate this topic

I'd like to make some pumpkin cookies for dd and I. I dont have any kind of shortening or margarine in the house and I wont be making a trip to the health store til next week. We are gluten, soy, dairy, egg and a whole lotta other frees. :D I was hoping to find someone here who has subbed oil for shortening in cookie recipes with success? Thanks!

I frequently use oil instead of butter. I start with a little lass oil than it calls for (butter) and add more if the dough/batter seems too dry. I don't usually use olive oil though because the taste is off. I made chocolate chip cookies last week with coconut oil and they were AMAZING!!

I frequently use oil instead of butter. I start with a little lass oil than it calls for (butter) and add more if the dough/batter seems too dry. I don't usually use olive oil though because the taste is off. I made chocolate chip cookies last week with coconut oil and they were AMAZING!!

Thanks! Do you chill the dough before putting it on the baking sheet? It's been a few years since i've eaten a cookie and I'm anxious to try.

I never used it in a cookie recipe, but I substiute unsweetened applesauce in lots of cake mixes when baking. I do this for nutrition reasons and it makes the cake much more moist than regular margarine.

Wenmin

Cookies need something firm so they will hold up. That will work in cakes but cookies need a little more M-mph. I would think that coconut oil would be excellant; better than a liquid oil.