This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swine Flu Shot

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

Can you please say yes or no if you are getting the shot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ENF Enthusiast

Is a poll like this really necessary on a Celiac/Gluten-Free board?

Why not? Aren't we the ones with an underlying health condition that they are saying should get the shot. Just wondering what others think and I am sure I'm not the only one.

ranger Enthusiast

I think that this thread is for anything but celiac. So, it is absolutely appropriate to ask that question.

No, I am not going to get the swine flu shot. I have never gotten a flu shot, but I do get the pnuemonia ( SP) shot.

Susan

ENF Enthusiast
I think that this thread is for anything but celiac. So, it is absolutely appropriate to ask that question.

Susan

It belongs on this forum area, where it was moved to, but was originally placed in the Celiac Disease -Coping With forum. That was what I was referring to. Most people that have Celiac, and are on a gluten-free diet, are probably not going to be eligible to get the Swine Flu vaccine unless they have other issues that the CDC recognizes.

Jestgar Rising Star
Most people that have Celiac, and are on a gluten-free diet, are probably not going to be eligible to get the Swine Flu vaccine.

Why would you say that?

psawyer Proficient
It belongs on this forum area, where it was moved to, but was originally placed in the Celiac Disease -Coping With forum. That was what I was referring to.

Yes, it was in the wrong place, and I moved it here. In the future, if you think a post is inappropriate or in the wrong place, please use the REPORT button to alert a moderator.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ENF Enthusiast
Why would you say that?

Just having Celiac Disease would be related to the last category below, and if you're on the diet your immune system probably isn't compromised enough anymore to warrant the Swine Flu vaccination. I'd like to know what doctors like Peter H. Green and Alessio Fasano are advising their patients to do, and if they are giving Swine Flu shots at the Celiac Disease Center of Columbia University and the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research.

According to guidelines drafted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are five key populations that should be vaccinated against the H1N1 virus:

*Pregnant women

*People who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age

Children and young people between the ages of 6 months and 24 years

*Health care workers and emergency medical service providers

*People between 25 and 64 years of age who have chronic medical disorders or compromised immune systems

ranger Enthusiast

I understand that the priorities for the H1N1 shot are :

Healthcare workers

people that care for young children

Pregnant women

Persons under 24

Persons whose autoimmune systems have been compromised

There is no mention of celiacs in any list that I have seen, one way or the other. And, it could be argued, that a celiac on a gluten free diet has not got an autoimmune system that has been compromised. But a celiac not on the gluten free diet has an autoimmune systom that is compromised. I don't think the CDC has gotten into those nuances. And, all the rumors!

Susan

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm supposed to get one because of my daughter, who was 5 1/2 weeks early and has a brother in daycare... I probably would not otherwise. But, I also have to get a flu shot for the same reason.

ENF Enthusiast
I understand that the priorities for the H1N1 shot are :

Healthcare workers

Pregnant women

Persons under 24

Persons whose autoimmune systems have been compromised

There is no mention of celiacs in any list that I have seen, one way or the other. And, it could be argued, that a celiac on a gluten free diet has not got an autoimmune system that has been compromised. But a celiac not on the gluten free diet has an autoimmune systom that is compromised. I don't think the CDC has gotten into those nuances. And, all the rumors!

Susan

Since I've been on a gluten-free diet I rarely even catch a cold, and when I do it's usually mild and ends very fast. I believe that my formerly-belabored immune system has returned from the maelstrom with a vengeance, lol, and I hope that others with celiac disease have similar results when they go gluten-free.
tarnalberry Community Regular

As I am pregnant AND have asthma, I will probably be getting both flu vaccines. It has nothing to do with celiac for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I won't, never have and never will. I haven't even had a cold since I was diagnosed and see no need for it. My answer would likely be different before I was diagnosed since my immune system was so busy fighting gluten that I caught every bug there was then and was constantly sick with something. Now that gluten is not an issue my immune system seems to do a very good job of fighting off any bugs that are around.

lovegrov Collaborator

I will get the regular flu shot (as I always do) but probably not the swine flu (I'm 54 and apparently have some resistance as a result). Neither decision has anything to do with celiac.

richard

celiac-mommy Collaborator
As I am pregnant AND have asthma, I will probably be getting both flu vaccines. It has nothing to do with celiac for me.

I didn't know yo0u were preggers-Congratulations!!!

I will get the shot. I am a healthcare worker, and although my 2 Celiac children are very healthy while on their diet, I will not take the chance of bringing something home to them. I've had multiple patients in the last week with KNOWN H1N1 and I'm sure many more who haven't been diagnosed yet. I'm already showering before I leave the hospital, it's been that bad here!!

My kids will get the regular flu shot, and I will discuss more at lenth with their pediatrician at that time regarding them getting the H1N1 vaccine.

Cyndi Newbie
Can you please say yes or no if you are getting the shot.

No Way don't like live viruses.

Guess I should have been more specific with my questions. For those of us who were recently diagnosed with Celiac and still have a weak immune system, should we get the Swine Flu Shot? I know it just depends on the person, but I am just not sure what to do. I have been gluten free (hopefully) for about a months now but since my CBC was off and I am anemic does this put me more at risk? :huh:

lovegrov Collaborator
No Way don't like live viruses.

I don't think the shot is a live virus. The spray is. Anybody else?

richard

missy'smom Collaborator
I don't think the shot is a live virus. The spray is. Anybody else?

richard

They've(news) very clearly said that spray is live, shot is not.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
They've(news) very clearly said that spray is live, shot is not.

I'm pretty sure I already got the swine flu, I work in a hotel so I'm exposed to everything that comes down the pike. I'm fairly certain it was the swine flu because I actually got quite sick for two or three days, and I haven't been hit hard with a cold in two years. I used to get at least three bad colds/flus every winter, now I might get one mild cold. Mostly I sneeze a little for a few days, no biggie. But this knocked me and my boyfriend down for three days, so I figure it had to be something out of the ordinary.

Even if we hadnt, I would not get the vaccine. My immune system is on crack, as I've just described, flus don't faze me. That's my personal choice to risk getting sick instead of getting an injection.

Shess0816 Apprentice
Since I've been on a gluten-free diet I rarely even catch a cold, and when I do it's usually mild and ends very fast. I believe that my formerly-belabored immune system has returned from the maelstrom with a vengeance, lol, and I hope that others with celiac disease have similar results when they go gluten-free.

I've almost had an opposite reaction to going gluten free. I've been gluten free now for about 8 months. In the past 8 months I have caught EVERYTHING that anyone around me has gotten. Colds, sinus infections (yes I know those are not contagious), flus, etc... I have had it all! It's almost as if my immune system has take a little vacation from working because it's had to work so hard all those years to fight off the gluten. Now it seems like it feels like it needs to regroup and recover from all those bad years and so it's not working as hard on the other things I seem to catch.... So, in my opinion, I would definitely consider myself to be a person with a compromised immune system. Now will I get the shot? I don't think I am going to, because I react really horribly to vaccinations. I have a terrible fever for several days, horrid body aches, chills, -- my reaction almost seems worse sometimes than what the actual sickness would be! But, I do feel like I would fall into the compromised immune system category even though I am totally gluten free.

bluejeangirl Contributor

congradulations tarnaberry.

bluejeangirl Contributor
I won't, never have and never will. I haven't even had a cold since I was diagnosed and see no need for it. My answer would likely be different before I was diagnosed since my immune system was so busy fighting gluten that I caught every bug there was then and was constantly sick with something. Now that gluten is not an issue my immune system seems to do a very good job of fighting off any bugs that are around.

I'm in the won't be getting it crowd. The shot has not been tested good enough as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also sensitive to all the preservatives they use.

casnco Enthusiast

Sorry but I am a nay sayer. No swine flu shot for me!!! Not enough testing. To much pressure to take it. Not interested. My immune system is compromised even though I am following the diet. Why would I want to put something like that in me. I practice natural health so I will be fine. I am a healthcare worker and I will be wearing a mask all season long to protect anyone from anything I can breath on them. Like my bad breath. It will be better for everyone involved if I just wear a mask. He He

mamaw Community Regular

No flu or swine flu shots for us!

Archived