Rate this topic

No Flu shots for me, because of an egg allergy that once bothered me... My Doctor told me that I'm not a candidate for Flu Shots even if I out grew the egg allergy...

Anybody else told this by their Doctor? Anybody out there that has an egg allergy and had Flu Shots?

My son is allergic to egg whites. His doctor told me that he should get the flu shot because the flu would be much worse for him then the reaction he would have from the shot. He doesn't have life threatning reactions, he will get heartburn, a stomach ache, and he suffers from EE. But, the years he did get the flu shot (before we knew of the allergy) he still got the flu so I am on the fence still.

IIRC, the attenuated live vaccine that's delivered via nasal spray (effectiveness varies depending on age, however) is NOT cultured in eggs, and is suitable for those even with anaphylactic egg allergies. Of course, your doctor should have the details on the difference between the two types of vaccine and whether or not either would be acceptable for this situation.

IIRC, the attenuated live vaccine that's delivered via nasal spray (effectiveness varies depending on age, however) is NOT cultured in eggs, and is suitable for those even with anaphylactic egg allergies. Of course, your doctor should have the details on the difference between the two types of vaccine and whether or not either would be acceptable for this situation.

Thanks for the tip on the nasal spray... I'll see my Doctor next week and run that by him.. We had only discussed the flu shot in the past...

The spray flu vaccine is approved for people 2-49, I believe.

The spray flu vaccine is approved for people 2-49, I believe.

I guess that's why my Doctor never mentioned the spray.....