elle's mom

Candida Overgrowth

Rate this topic

The more I read and learn, the more I wonder if I possibly suffer from candida overgrowth. I won't go into a long explanation at this point, but I do have a few questions for any of you who've experienced this problem:

1. How did you get a diagnosis? ie what type of test did your doctor (and what type of dr. was it) do?

2. How long did it take for you to recover once you began treatment?

3. Other than dietary changes (no sugars, flours etc), what other treatment did you receive? Any oral med?

Thanks to anyone who can give me insight.

Hi,

I unfortunately had my doctor stumped (actually, she is a holistic nurse practitioner). She told me to "go do some research." I did and found Dr. Crook's book The Yeast Connection and Women's Health. Almost every page described me. I cried when I read it. I went on the suggested diet and bought grapefruit seed extract (OTC and all natural). I noticed a difference to a degree anyway after about a month, but I wanted something stronger. I brought the book into my doc to show her what I thought was going on and she prescribed me Nystatin for 3 months (I ended up needing an additional 3 months worth after this initial round). She did not do a test and I did not know to ask for one back then. The Nystatin along w/ the diet really kicked it to the curb.

Best of luck!

Kim, The Food Allergy Coach

The more I read and learn, the more I wonder if I possibly suffer from candida overgrowth. I won't go into a long explanation at this point, but I do have a few questions for any of you who've experienced this problem:

1. How did you get a diagnosis? ie what type of test did your doctor (and what type of dr. was it) do?

2. How long did it take for you to recover once you began treatment?

3. Other than dietary changes (no sugars, flours etc), what other treatment did you receive? Any oral med?

Thanks to anyone who can give me insight.

Hi,

I unfortunately had my doctor stumped (actually, she is a holistic nurse practitioner). She told me to "go do some research." I did and found Dr. Crook's book The Yeast Connection and Women's Health. Almost every page described me. I cried when I read it. I went on the suggested diet and bought grapefruit seed extract (OTC and all natural). I noticed a difference to a degree anyway after about a month, but I wanted something stronger. I brought the book into my doc to show her what I thought was going on and she prescribed me Nystatin for 3 months (I ended up needing an additional 3 months worth after this initial round). She did not do a test and I did not know to ask for one back then. The Nystatin along w/ the diet really kicked it to the curb.

Best of luck!

Kim, The Food Allergy Coach

Thanks Kim, I will have to check out the book. If you don't mind me asking, so after 6 months on Nystatin and the diet, so then could you eat a diet that was only gluten free? What I mean is could you go back to some gluten-free flours, sugar (as in recipes) and also most fruits (although I see no cherries for you)? I'm just really nervous about what this candida thing could mean for me long-term and I feel that because of that I'm almost in a state of denial as I just came upon the realization last night that this is probably what I have. I have also read something about the Rx meds having possible affects on the liver; any insight on that?