valt

Dramatic Hair Loss, Low Ferritin Help

Rate this topic

I am extremely stressed. I got diagnosed with Celiac in June. I was having hair loss. My ferritin was 21. My dermatologist told me to get it up to 40 or even better 70. I was on iron for three months. Got my ferritin retested and it was 20. It went down. I am still taking ferritin. Meanwhile my hair is pouring out of my head. I am literally waiting to take a shower one day and step out with no hair. I was asking to see if I could get an iron infusion but the rest of my iron studies (hemoglobin, etc) is normal and they won't do it.

I am thinking I am not absorbing nutrients. My doctor is going to do a stool test on me and a colonoscopy.

Has anyone experienced bad hair loss due to Celiac, malaborbstion, low ferritin????? If so, please tell me it stopped at some point. When did you start absorbing nutrients again?

I am really getting so depressed over this.

There might be a problem with your thyroid. Has anyone ever checked it? Hair thinning and loss is a symptom. If you search on this board there are others with iron/thyroid issues.

I've having iron infusions and they can't understand why mine has dramatically increased. I had a thyroid panel run last week and am awaiting the results. I've noticed some thinning in my hair lately as well.

Good luck!

Oh, you poor thing. Yes, of course it grows back once you get everything back in balance. It didn't take terribly long, either and mine came back curly. I haven't been officially diagnosed with celiac, but have had most of the "classic" symptoms which include hair loss and iron deficiency anemia among them. My doc also ordered a colonoscopy as that can be a source of iron depletion, as well. Definitely get your thyroid checked and while you are at it, perhaps a bone density scan, too. In my case the thyroid wasn't the problem, so YMMV, but a big hug at any rate! :)

Margaret