Rate this topic

My son, who has chronic constipation despite daily miralax, has had diarrea the past couple of days. This morning he called me to see a worm at least 1 inch long swimming in the toilet after he used the bathroom. It was black, flat, with lots of feetish things and a fabulous swimmer. It didn't occur to him that it came from him, and he went happily off to school, but I am horrified. Is this an emergency? It definitely feels like it to me, but we are going to see his new doctor tomorrow, and it seems silly to go to the doctor today. What would you do?

And I just have to mention that I was worm phobic as a child and I am finding I did not grow out of it as well as I thought I did!

catch it and take it with you tomorrow

I know I should have done that, but I was just too horrifed, and flushed . . .

well... write down everything you can remember about it.

Not an emergency, people live with parasites all the time.

Oh my!!!! I have to admit, just reading your post gave me shivers. I can't imagine seeing one that had come out of my kiddo! On the bright side though, at least now you know he has parasites and with targeted treatment he may finally get some relief. Keep us updated after your appointment tomorrow!

You will probably be sent home with a stool test. You will have to catch and take stool samples. (If you find any more you are going to have to catch it.)

It is not an emergency and this can be treated.

The things we end up doing when we are parents/caregivers.

Yikes! I think I would freak.