Rate this topic

So I'm Celiac and in the craving stage of pregnancy and who ever says that you don't crave glutened food is nuts. I have had the worst craving for a creme filled frosted longjohn. I tried to make one but failed. Has anyone been able to figure out how to make one, or (i cringe) a good enough one to think about buying? I'm about 6 months gluten free and am just not experienced enough to deal with, all of a sudden mind you, craving food I can't eat.

So I'm Celiac and in the craving stage of pregnancy and who ever says that you don't crave glutened food is nuts. I have had the worst craving for a creme filled frosted longjohn. I tried to make one but failed. Has anyone been able to figure out how to make one, or (i cringe) a good enough one to think about buying? I'm about 6 months gluten free and am just not experienced enough to deal with, all of a sudden mind you, craving food I can't eat.

Ummmm, where do you live? I've never heardof a 'longjohn', I'm guessing you mean donut? I'll be happy to help you look up a place near you that might have something relatively close! Would boston cream pie work?

lol, um...i'm from iowa. I didn't know that wasn't a popular thing everywhere.... it is a rectangular donut with a hole at one end where they put cream filling in, then they frost it. kinda like a jelly filled donut but with cream and a different shape. I live in Missouri now, but the last one i ate was in iowa. Thanks for any help

Hi, I've never had these but from what I've read on here a lot of people enjoy them. Not filled, but frosted.....

http://consumer.kinnikinnick.com/index.cfm...sumer.home.html

I couldn't make the link to the exact page work, but just put "donut" in the search box on the site :) Ive also seen them at my local grocery store.

hmmm... thanks, I'll have to look for those.

hmmm... thanks, I'll have to look for those.

Yeah, kinnikinnick makes good donuts.

I've had what you describe, around here (new england) we call them boston cream donuts, and they're round. Chocolate icing on top? Yeah, I miss those too. My only suggestions would be to get kinikinnick chocolate glazed donuts and dip them in vanilla pudding (they're REALLY good warm) or maybe find a gluten-free cream puff recipe and fill and top it like a donut.

We have a gluten free bakery in Chesterfield, Michigan called Celiac Specialties. They make the closet to the basic doughnut that would be filled and frosted like that. So make a filling and your frosting and get your self an order.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

I havn't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds like it would work.

Cream puffs

1 c. water

1/2 c. shortening

1/3 c. potato starch flour

2/3 c. rice flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 TBS sugar

4 eggs

1. Combine water and shortening in Lg saucepan

2. Bring to rapid boil.

3. Mix flous, salt, sugar. Add to water and mix untill ball forms and mixture leaves the sides of the pan.

4. Remove from heat and let cool somewhat.

5. Using an electric mixer, Add unbeaten eggs, one at a time.

6. Drop by TBS unto greased bake sheet (2 in round, 1 1/2 in high).

7. Leave space to expand.

8. Bake at 450 for 20 min.

9. Remove from oven and prick with a knife to let steam escape.

10. When cool, cut in half, remove any excess dough, fill and frost.

There are recipes for dounuts in the internet. I've only made donut holes. Hope that helps.