jello5

Ridges On Nails

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have been gluten-free/CF free since August of this year. I have just noticed I have vertical ridges on my fingernails. I have heard this could be from a calcium deficiency. Any ideas? I otherwise feel good since eliminating the gluten-free/CF from my diet.

I had ridges on my nails for years prior to my celiac disease diagnosis. Since going gluten-free, they have disappeared. I do take calcium and vitamin D supplements daily.

Hi,

I have been gluten-free/CF free since August of this year. I have just noticed I have vertical ridges on my fingernails. I have heard this could be from a calcium deficiency. Any ideas? I otherwise feel good since eliminating the gluten-free/CF from my diet.

My understanding is that nail ridges (vertical) are from psoriasis. I was diagnosed with psoriasis many, many years before I was diagnosed with Celiac. Interesting that both are autoimmune!

My understanding is that nail ridges (vertical) are from psoriasis. I was diagnosed with psoriasis many, many years before I was diagnosed with Celiac. Interesting that both are autoimmune!

I saw a naturopath primarily for issues related to hypothyroidism. He asked to look at my fingernails, particularily the little finter, and saw vertical ridges. He then looked for two other physical markers that pointed him to a high degree of suspicion re gluten-intolerance. At that time he had not tested for thyroid issues. Blood test confirmed a high level of sensitivity to gluten and casein. I think the ridges were important because they indicate that nutrients are not being properly assimilated by the body.

I used to have vertical ridges on my nails and horizontal scoops on each of my thumb nails before going gluten-free. They gradually resolved and my nails look great. :)