Robyn1216

Symptoms- Diagnose Me!

Rate this topic

Ok, so it started my freshman year... and before that, I was totally normal

So it started;

1. bad acid (heartburn, reflux, gas, indigestion)

+at this point i went to my gastro who ordered a upper gi, an ultrasound, & endoscope

and a blood test but nothing came back.

2. SO not regular "digestion" i'll call it

3. feeling queasy after having dairy developed

4. feeling bloated (or really full) after any amount or type of food

5. cramps (when im nowhere near my period)

+not just abdominal, sometimes they're in my sides too

+sometimes so bad i cant sit up straight

6. pain before bed, made worse by laying down (so basically i never sleep)

7. chest tightness/shortness of breath

+my mom says that could be bad indigestion

so yeah, i have a well visit coming up soon and im going to ask about it but whats the best way to know? just try the diet?

thank you!

Hi! I would definitly suggest you getting the blood test done to check for antibodies first before going on the diet, but the symptoms you have do sound like some Celiac. The only way to get positive result on the bloodwork and the biopsy is to be eating gluten still. If you get the test done thought and it comes back negative, there is nothing wrong with trying the diet to see if it helps you. Then, with symptom improvement and maybe a DNA test for the genes, you could get a diagnosis from your doc.

Hope I may have helped a little!

Definitely start with blood test, minimally tTG IgA, Iron, Vit D, etc...there are celiac panels, but they don't always include vitamin deficiency.

Blood tests and even biopsy are not exact. Celiac is extremely difficult to diagnose in many cases.

But if you go gluten-free first you do lose the opportunity to run the tests without having to go back on gluten.

Once you've decided whether or not to have a biopsy, then it's time to go gluten-free...there is no trying...you need to be completely gluten-free.

For some people it is important to get the diagnosis to stick to the diet, while others are able to stay gluten-free because they improve which confirms the need.

I believe since you've already got Celiac on your radar it will be an easier transition to gluten-free. It took doctors well over 20 years to diagnose me because I didn't have "classic" celiac symptoms of weight loss and D -- unfortunately many of us have weight gain and C. I chose to have the biopsy as I wasn't certain docs were finally on the right track...it did confirm Celiac in my case - where my blood tests only marginally indicated Celiac.

As for your Mom...I'm sure she is trying to help. I can only tell you that I wish I had been more proactive about my more vague symptoms over the years and listened to what my body was saying, rather than toughing it out.

Long way of saying I agree with previous post :)

thank you everybody, really helpful. the symptoms have been happening since my freshman year and im a senior now. its starting to drive me nuts!

Early on the endoscope might show nothing. Celiac's can be lurking all your life and then finally hit and start doing damage. You should talk to your doctor, and if he/she doesn't want to send for more tests, try the diet.

I agree with the other posters-- definitely get started with a blood test before getting rid of gluten completely. When I first did my research about Celiac I jumped right into a gluten-free diet without testing, and now I can't get tested b/c i'm not glutened... so I missed out, and i might have to go BACK onto gluten... which is no bueno of course!

Ouch-- sounds like you've been in pain a long time. Sorry, I hope you can get diagnosed quickly! :)