jststric

Is This Common Prior To Diagnosis?

Rate this topic

My sister-in-law just lost her teaching job (private school) due to being sick so much so far this year. She's always been one to get sick and stay sick easily. But this time I'm wondering if she's not a Celiac. She says she and her doctor talked about it but she's vomiting. She's lost 15-20 lbs (she cannot afford to lose) because of vomiting and diarrhea. She has "eliminated refined sugars and 'most' grains" she says. I know everyone tends to have their own experiences but with some commonalities. I am gluten-intolerant, not a diagnosed Celiac and that's not been my experience. Did any of you have the vomiting? She also has the extreme fatigue and acheyness of joints. Anyone?

I didn't have vomiting but my daughter did. Fatigue and painful joints are not uncommon. IMHO her doctor should be doing more than just 'talking to her' about it. She needs to be tested and then when testing is finished she should give the diet a strict try no matter what the results.

My sister-in-law just lost her teaching job (private school) due to being sick so much so far this year. She's always been one to get sick and stay sick easily. But this time I'm wondering if she's not a Celiac. She says she and her doctor talked about it but she's vomiting. She's lost 15-20 lbs (she cannot afford to lose) because of vomiting and diarrhea. She has "eliminated refined sugars and 'most' grains" she says. I know everyone tends to have their own experiences but with some commonalities. I am gluten-intolerant, not a diagnosed Celiac and that's not been my experience. Did any of you have the vomiting? She also has the extreme fatigue and acheyness of joints. Anyone?

I had the vomiting part, and so did my son - along with the volatile gut, fatigue, joint pain (and more). As mentioned above, just eliminating grains wouldn't be enough if she's got celiac disease - gluten is present in so many things and there's also cross contamination that could be coming into play.

If they're going to test her, they should do it BEFORE she completely eliminates gluten from her diet.