This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I Have Hashinotos

Wolicki

Wolicki Enthusiast

I thank God for this site everyday! I was diagnosed Celiac 3 months ago. Shortly after starting the diet, I gained 25 pounds overnight (literally) in fluid retention. My PCP, GI and Nephrologist can't figure it out. It's been 9 weeks and I still have all the fluid.

Other problems are super slow metabolism! I've been eating about 1700 calories a day and exercising like mad, and I have gained 60 pounds! I know I needed to gain a lot (6' 0" tall female, low weight before dx 97 :huh: ), but I am still gaining almost a pound a day! I also have muscle pain, cramps in my feet, blurry vision on occassion, and hoarseness. My kidney function tests are off, but the nephro says my kidneys are fine. He ran a 24 hour urine.

My doctor ran a bunch of tests, and I am hypothyroid. My TSH was high. T3 and T4 were in the normal range. From what I have read, I have symptoms of Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I have an appointment with the Endocrinologist tomorrow, and don't want to have to fight with him about what tests to run.

My initial call to the Endo's office didn't go well. The first available appt. was December! I told the nurse about the edema, etc. She said she would try to get me on the cancellation list. I sent all my labs to the doctor, along wiht a note about the edema. I've read here and several other sites that kidney function, edema and muscle pain can alll be attirbuted to hypothyroid. The nurse called me back and said that the edema has nothing to do with the thyroid :( I argued some more and got an appointment.

It's tomorrow, and I am dreading trying to convince the doctor to do the antibody tests, so that he can prescribe whatever I need to fix all this stuff. Any words of wisdom from those of you who have been there? Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Hi,

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is n ot an easy diagnoses.

1. You have the initial blood test done.

2. You should have a thyroid function/ uptake test performed. This is done with some radioactive pill and a geiger counter.

3. An ultasound of the thyroid. Hashimoto's has a signature enlargement to one side of the thyroid, so the actual size, shape and texture of the thyroid is used to diagnose.

(I went through the testing about 15 years ago, some things might have changed.)

Good Luck! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

nasalady Contributor
I thank God for this site everyday! I was diagnosed Celiac 3 months ago. Shortly after starting the diet, I gained 25 pounds overnight (literally) in fluid retention. My PCP, GI and Nephrologist can't figure it out. It's been 9 weeks and I still have all the fluid.

Other problems are super slow metabolism! I've been eating about 1700 calories a day and exercising like mad, and I have gained 60 pounds! I know I needed to gain a lot (6' 0" tall female, low weight before dx 97 :huh: ), but I am still gaining almost a pound a day! I also have muscle pain, cramps in my feet, blurry vision on occassion, and hoarseness. My kidney function tests are off, but the nephro says my kidneys are fine. He ran a 24 hour urine.

My doctor ran a bunch of tests, and I am hypothyroid. My TSH was high. T3 and T4 were in the normal range. From what I have read, I have symptoms of Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I have an appointment with the Endocrinologist tomorrow, and don't want to have to fight with him about what tests to run.

My initial call to the Endo's office didn't go well. The first available appt. was December! I told the nurse about the edema, etc. She said she would try to get me on the cancellation list. I sent all my labs to the doctor, along wiht a note about the edema. I've read here and several other sites that kidney function, edema and muscle pain can alll be attirbuted to hypothyroid. The nurse called me back and said that the edema has nothing to do with the thyroid :( I argued some more and got an appointment.

It's tomorrow, and I am dreading trying to convince the doctor to do the antibody tests, so that he can prescribe whatever I need to fix all this stuff. Any words of wisdom from those of you who have been there? Thanks so much!

Hashimoto's thyroiditis seems to go hand-in-hand with celiac disease. There's a lot of research to back that up; here's a link to a site where I've posted a number of papers about celiac disease and related conditions....there are 3 papers about autoimmune thyroid disorders and celiac, Volta 2001, Berti 2004, and Hadithi 2007:

Open Original Shared Link

You might want to print them out and take them to your doctor's appt. I have an annoying habit of doing that myself. :P

Good luck!

JoAnn

nasalady Contributor

Another thought....have any of your doctors run a liver panel on you lately? Another condition which can be associated with celiac disease is autoimmune hepatitis (I have that too), and that seems to make me retain fluid like crazy! I certainly hope that's not the problem, but you might want to mention it to your doctor. :unsure:

Gemini Experienced
Hi,

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is n ot an easy diagnoses.

1. You have the initial blood test done.

2. You should have a thyroid function/ uptake test performed. This is done with some radioactive pill and a geiger counter.

3. An ultasound of the thyroid. Hashimoto's has a signature enlargement to one side of the thyroid, so the actual size, shape and texture of the thyroid is used to diagnose.

(I went through the testing about 15 years ago, some things might have changed.)

Good Luck! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Those tests are no longer needed. The antibody tests, done with the thyroid panel, will tell a person if it is autoimmune thyroid disease. It's a simple blood test!

K-Dawg Explorer
Those tests are no longer needed. The antibody tests, done with the thyroid panel, will tell a person if it is autoimmune thyroid disease. It's a simple blood test!

Agreed. I have Graves disease and Hashimoto's. The thyroid panel and antibody tests are key. Any decent endo will automatically run these tests and will ususally also order a liver panel (ALT, ALP, AST).

Mine also regularly does a CBC and differential (due to the effect of the meds I take for graves disease) as well as creatinine and electrolytes (both related to kidney function).

Wolicki Enthusiast

Hello all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had my visit with the endo today. I started to explain my symptoms, and he said "none of this has anything to do with your thyroid." Just before he came in, I was reading all his charts on the wall regarding thyroid- hypo, hyper, etc. I had all of the hypo symptoms, and a TSH of 5.05 to go along with it. One symptom on HIS chart is tingling in the arms and legs. When he told me it none of my symptoms were reated to Thyroid, I told him about the tingling in my arms and legs and asked if he thought that was thyroid. He said no, because he doesn't think there is a problem. I've read over and over, in many sites that anything over a 3 is considered hypo and should be treated.

It went on and on. I had to convince him to run an antibody test, and he refused to order any vitamin or mineral levels. The only thing that has been checked since dx is B12 (525) and ferritin(11). No tests on any other B vitamins, iodine, selenium, zinc, A, E. D or K have been run. I asked him to do a more comprehensive adrenal panel- NO. I aksed about T3 T4 conversion- NO. Then he actually said that I would stop gaining weight if I stopped eating so much! (I have been on a ow carb, hi protein, low sodium diet of no more than 1600 calories a day and exercising like a dog for 2 months and still gaining. BTW I am 6 ft tall, medium frame). That's when I burst into tears, and he finally said ok, he would write me a prescription.

He wrote it for Synthroid. I explained that Synthroid is questionable re: gluten (source celiac.org). After making me feel like a total schmoe, he wrote a scrip for Levoxyl 75mcg.

So after a good, long crying jag, I got my blood tests done. Now I wait. Have any of you experienced being treated like this? I can guarantee that I was not disrespectful, did not try to tell himi how to treat me or anything like that. I just asked questions, because I think this explains a lot. I thought once I finally was dxed with Celiac, it would be smooth sailing. Gotta tell everyone, I've had it up to HERE with doctors! Thanks for letting me vent!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nasalady Contributor
I had my visit with the endo today. I started to explain my symptoms, and he said "none of this has anything to do with your thyroid." Just before he came in, I was reading all his charts on the wall regarding thyroid- hypo, hyper, etc. I had all of the hypo symptoms, and a TSH of 5.05 to go along with it. One symptom on HIS chart is tingling in the arms and legs. When he told me it none of my symptoms were reated to Thyroid, I told him about the tingling in my arms and legs and asked if he thought that was thyroid. He said no, because he doesn't think there is a problem. I've read over and over, in many sites that anything over a 3 is considered hypo and should be treated.

It went on and on. I had to convince him to run an antibody test, and he refused to order any vitamin or mineral levels. The only thing that has been checked since dx is B12 (525) and ferritin(11). No tests on any other B vitamins, iodine, selenium, zinc, A, E. D or K have been run. I asked him to do a more comprehensive adrenal panel- NO. I aksed about T3 T4 conversion- NO. Then he actually said that I would stop gaining weight if I stopped eating so much! (I have been on a ow carb, hi protein, low sodium diet of no more than 1600 calories a day and exercising like a dog for 2 months and still gaining. BTW I am 6 ft tall, medium frame). That's when I burst into tears, and he finally said ok, he would write me a prescription.

He wrote it for Synthroid. I explained that Synthroid is questionable re: gluten (source celiac.org). After making me feel like a total schmoe, he wrote a scrip for Levoxyl 75mcg.

So after a good, long crying jag, I got my blood tests done. Now I wait. Have any of you experienced being treated like this? I can guarantee that I was not disrespectful, did not try to tell himi how to treat me or anything like that. I just asked questions, because I think this explains a lot. I thought once I finally was dxed with Celiac, it would be smooth sailing. Gotta tell everyone, I've had it up to HERE with doctors! Thanks for letting me vent!

What an incredible JERK!! :angry:

Is there anyway you can see a different doctor? Like an internal medicine person or something??

No one should have to go through anything like that just to be tested and get medication! This guy is on a power trip....it sounds like he wanted to humiliate you. I'm so so sorry you had to go through that!

Did you look at any of the medical publications I gave you the link? Here are the three that are pertinent:

If you ever see that man again, print those papers out and take them with you. Tell him that you have a firm diagnosis of celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disorders are closely related. If he disagrees, hand him the papers.

And YES, I have been treated like that before. Which is why it will never happen to me again....well, someone can be disrespectful to me once, but I won't give them a second chance. I pay several hundred dollars a month just to have the PPO insurance so I can pick and choose my own doctors. I hope you can choose your own too.....if I were you, I would immediately look for someone else, but you may not have that option.

Please don't let someone like that make you feel as though you're wrong to advocate for yourself or to try to do your own research to find out what's wrong with you!

(((hugs)))

JoAnn

mommida Enthusiast

What do you call someone who graduated at the very bottom of the class at med school?

Doctor. :rolleyes:

Why you had to run accross this Bozo!!!? I don't know.

Cut your losses and find a real doctor. It is harder to diagnose the auto-immune related thyroid diseases. A Celiac has at least a 10% higher chance of having a auto-immune thyroid disease.

mommida Enthusiast

I think you should still do the scan of the thyroid as cancer and nodules can be present.

Remember that an auto-immune disease has the body's own immune system attacking the thyroid, and I would want to know the extent of that damage.

Wolicki Enthusiast
What an incredible JERK!! :angry:

Is there anyway you can see a different doctor? Like an internal medicine person or something??

No one should have to go through anything like that just to be tested and get medication! This guy is on a power trip....it sounds like he wanted to humiliate you. I'm so so sorry you had to go through that!

Did you look at any of the medical publications I gave you the link? Here are the three that are pertinent:

If you ever see that man again, print those papers out and take them with you. Tell him that you have a firm diagnosis of celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disorders are closely related. If he disagrees, hand him the papers.

And YES, I have been treated like that before. Which is why it will never happen to me again....well, someone can be disrespectful to me once, but I won't give them a second chance. I pay several hundred dollars a month just to have the PPO insurance so I can pick and choose my own doctors. I hope you can choose your own too.....if I were you, I would immediately look for someone else, but you may not have that option.

Please don't let someone like that make you feel as though you're wrong to advocate for yourself or to try to do your own research to find out what's wrong with you!

(((hugs)))

JoAnn

JoAnn,

Thank you for the hugs :) I spent an hour crying on my boyfriend's shoulder after the visit, but I still can use all the hugs I can get. The weird thing is that I saw this doctor before while being treated for adrenal insufficiency a few years ago.

I have an HMO, but I do have other options in Endo's. I really wish the HMO would allow me to see a naturopathic doc or an osteopath, but sadly they will not approve it. I will start my search for a new one today.

Thank you for the articles. I read them, but I will not be sharing anything with this guy ever again. It's hard enough to be sick, but to be treated this way is absolutely unacceptable.

Wolicki Enthusiast
What do you call someone who graduated at the very bottom of the class at med school?

Doctor. :rolleyes:

Why you had to run accross this Bozo!!!? I don't know.

Cut your losses and find a real doctor. It is harder to diagnose the auto-immune related thyroid diseases. A Celiac has at least a 10% higher chance of having a auto-immune thyroid disease.

THank you for the laughs! I am beginning my search today. I appreciate the support!

Gemini Experienced
I think you should still do the scan of the thyroid as cancer and nodules can be present.

Remember that an auto-immune disease has the body's own immune system attacking the thyroid, and I would want to know the extent of that damage.

Nodules can easily be felt by any good physician. I have never had a doctor say to me that I have nodules and my current PCP is very, very thorough...if I had nodules, she wouldn't hesitate to bring it up and advocate more testing. Things may have changed but any scan of the thyroid introduces a radioactive element to the testing and that's not something I take lightly. Damage can be assessed through blood work also.

K-Dawg Explorer

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. Yes, I have been treated HORRIBLY by doctors. SO much so that when I go now I always dress in one of my work uniforms (i.e. the power suit) and I do get treated MUCH better. So I wonder if, in my case, there has been some class bias operating (maybe jeans signal that I"m on the wrong side of some supposed class border). Who Knows. All I know is I get great trt when I wear one of my suits so that's what I do. Always. A real pain in the ass.

Anyway I have also had a radiocactive iodine scan done...once...about 15 years ago. I've had an ultrasound of my thyroid also. But my endo typically relies on her physical examination. I wish you were in Toronto cuz I'd give you her name.

You can also ask to get the copies of your results from the lab. My endo will usually just write "pt to have copy of results" on the lab requisition. That way I feel better informed and in control of my own health.

Good luck. Print off that material and try to find another endo if you can. It is imporant to be monitored when you are taking thyroid pills and you shouldn't have a jerk monitoring you

Nodules can easily be felt by any good physician. I have never had a doctor say to me that I have nodules and my current PCP is very, very thorough...if I had nodules, she wouldn't hesitate to bring it up and advocate more testing. Things may have changed but any scan of the thyroid introduces a radioactive element to the testing and that's not something I take lightly. Damage can be assessed through blood work also.
Wolicki Enthusiast

Thanks Gemini.

You know, in order to feel nodules, he would have had to touch me. Yes, that's right, he never touched my throat, took my BP, nothing! I thought I would be less angry today, but not yet :angry:

Wolicki Enthusiast
I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. Yes, I have been treated HORRIBLY by doctors. SO much so that when I go now I always dress in one of my work uniforms (i.e. the power suit) and I do get treated MUCH better. So I wonder if, in my case, there has been some class bias operating (maybe jeans signal that I"m on the wrong side of some supposed class border). Who Knows. All I know is I get great trt when I wear one of my suits so that's what I do. Always. A real pain in the ass.

Anyway I have also had a radiocactive idodine scan done...once...about 15 years ago. I've had an ultrasound of my thyroid also. But my endo typically relies on her physical examination. I wish you were in Toronto cuz I'd give you her name.

You can also ask to get the copies of your results from the lab. My endo will usually just write "pt to have copy of results" on the lab requisition. That way I feel better informed and in control of my own health.

Good luck. Print off that material and try to find another endo if you can. It is imporant to be monitored when you are taking thyroid pills and you should have a jerk monitoring you

That's the only way I even knew I had a problem with my labs, because I had a copy faxed to me. My doc (PCP) never even called me :(

Gemini Experienced

You know, it's the same with the airlines! My big complaint today is the way Americans look.....especially when they fly. I am old enough to remember when people dressed for flying on planes and today many look like they just rolled out of bed. When my husband and I fly, we dress up an are treated much, much better than anyone else not dressed well. It does command some respect and rightfully so. We are always being upgraded to first class and I swear it's because we don't look like a couple of bums when we fly. I guess it's the same with the medical profession but honestly, how would you feel if a doctor came into the room wearing jeans and a tee-shirt? ;) I don't think it's a matter of class bias but when a person takes the time to dress well for an appointment, that translates into a person who cares enough about themselves to make the effort. I know when I see a professional person, whatever their profession, and they are well dressed, I have more respect for them and the profession they represent. I treat everyone the same but it does command more respect. It looks really nice too!

frogrun Apprentice

My Endo diagnosed me with Hashinotos via ultrasound and physician examination...no labs. I'm really sorry that the doctor you saw was a gerk...sadly...there are just too many nasty doctors out there who pray on the sick. My Endo is a little bit of a gerk too, but he knows what he is doing and he is good at what he does. He put me on synthroid when noone else would even listen to me. Good luck finding a new doctor...one who will actually listen and do a physicial exam.

frogrun Apprentice

On the topic of fluid retention and tingling in the extremities...are you drinking enough water? I know that when I don't drink enough water I start retaining fluid like crazy and when my husband doesn't drink enough water he gets tingling in the extremities. If you are having endo problems and exercise a lot you may need to drink a lot of water...I have to drink over a gallon a day and I only run about 20 miles per week...when exercise more I have to add another half gallon. I know it sounds like a lot of water, but it works for me.

K-Dawg Explorer

lol Gemini -- I also dress well when I fly -- same reason: I get better service. But I usually do business casual. And when it comes to the proverbial power suit at the doctors.....sometimes I just feel to ill to bother (but I still ALWAYS do). I'm in a sort of traditional profession (at least as far as attire goes) and clients expect me to look a certain way (so I do). And I would expect the doctor to be well put together...but when I'm the patient I do wish I could just throw on jeans and a blazer. However, my experience tells me that if I do so, I will not be given good care so...the suit it is. In fact, I just had an endo appointment on my day off and I wore a suit (painful as it was).

NOW -- lets talk about broadway! I was at a show recently (Mary Poppins) and some guy had on flip flops and an undershirt (colloquially known as a 'wife beater' - hate that term). Come on! I'm all for broadway being accessible, but there is no reason to wear underwear as outerwear

You know, it's the same with the airlines! My big complaint today is the way Americans look.....especially when they fly. I am old enough to remember when people dressed for flying on planes and today many look like they just rolled out of bed. When my husband and I fly, we dress up an are treated much, much better than anyone else not dressed well. It does command some respect and rightfully so. We are always being upgraded to first class and I swear it's because we don't look like a couple of bums when we fly. I guess it's the same with the medical profession but honestly, how would you feel if a doctor came into the room wearing jeans and a tee-shirt? ;) I don't think it's a matter of class bias but when a person takes the time to dress well for an appointment, that translates into a person who cares enough about themselves to make the effort. I know when I see a professional person, whatever their profession, and they are well dressed, I have more respect for them and the profession they represent. I treat everyone the same but it does command more respect. It looks really nice too!
haleym Contributor

Oh you poor thing!

Hashi's is a you-know-what. Celiac and other autoimmune stuff run together, so I would seriously just have them check you for EVERYTHING. Finding a doctor that will do that might be tough, but good luck.

Having Hashimoto's myself, I can tell you that its rough. It makes you tired, crackly voice, enlarging thyroid, etc. I had my thyroid ultrasounded and it showed 8 nodules, and that it was TWICE! the size it should be.

The first one who suspected this was my sister, who is a dental hygenist. She was doing the routine head and neck exam when she noticed my thyroid seemed a bit big.

Luckily, the treatment is not to hard- usually a daily dose of thyroid replacement hormones and a reccomendation to avoid soy since it can disrupt uptake of the medication. Lame for us who already have plenty to avoid!

Good luck! You'll be ok!

Wolicki Enthusiast

On the topic of fluid retention and tingling in the extremities...are you drinking enough water? I know that when I don't drink enough water I start retaining fluid like crazy and when my husband doesn't drink enough water he gets tingling in the extremities. If you are having endo problems and exercise a lot you may need to drink a lot of water...I have to drink over a gallon a day and I only run about 20 miles per week...when exercise more I have to add another half gallon. I know it sounds like a lot of water, haks

Thanks for the tip. I most definitely get enough water. At least my 8 glassses plus.

Wolicki Enthusiast
Oh you poor thing!

Hashi's is a you-know-what. Celiac and other autoimmune stuff run together, so I would seriously just have them check you for EVERYTHING. Finding a doctor that will do that might be tough, but good luck.

Having Hashimoto's myself, I can tell you that its rough. It makes you tired, crackly voice, enlarging thyroid, etc. I had my thyroid ultrasounded and it showed 8 nodules, and that it was TWICE! the size it should be.

The first one who suspected this was my sister, who is a dental hygenist. She was doing the routine head and neck exam when she noticed my thyroid seemed a bit big.

Luckily, the treatment is not to hard- usually a daily dose of thyroid replacement hormones and a reccomendation to avoid soy since it can disrupt uptake of the medication. Lame for us who already have plenty to avoid!

Good luck! You'll be ok!

THank yout! Yeah, I keep wondering what is next to come off the list. I read spinach is bad for thyroid :o Oh well, I didn't think I could live without peanut butter, yet here I am~

maile Newbie

Wolicki, I'm sorry you had such a dork for a doctor :(

have you tried going to Mary Shomons Thyroid "about dot com" site for thyroid top docs (if you can't find it google the 2 together and it comes up)? perhaps someone that is approved by your insurance is on that list? or you can try the armour site and input your zip code and it also gives a list of names.

Good luck!

eyeaspire Newbie

It might be worth the out of pocket expense to see a naturopath who specializes in food sensitivities and/or endocrine issues. My ND diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. I also see him to manage my extreme reaction to gluten. I like having an hour to sort out my food issues, get the blood work done that I need, and I always leave feeling heard and understood.

Archived