This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Confused About Msg

Shess0816

Shess0816 Apprentice

I have heard and read that MSG is a source of gluten. I am just confused about whether it was one of those where it COULD be a potential source of gluten and so more checking would need to be done on the product (i.e. calling the manufacturer) or if MSG is ALWAYS a source of gluten. Anyone happen to know or can you tell me a little more about it? I'm just curious because I noticed that a lot of of processed products (like hot dogs) have MSG in them. Thanks for the help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

There is a lot of misinformation, and the MSG myth is one of those cases.

MSG is avoided by many people for various reasons, but it is NOT a source of gluten. Never has been.

Shess0816 Apprentice
There is a lot of misinformation, and the MSG myth is one of those cases.

MSG is avoided by many people for various reasons, but it is NOT a source of gluten. Never has been.

Ok, sounds good! Thank you very much for the clarification!! There is just so much information out there that sometimes it is hard to figure out fact from fiction! That's why I love this board!

lizard00 Enthusiast
Ok, sounds good! Thank you very much for the clarification!! There is just so much information out there that sometimes it is hard to figure out fact from fiction! That's why I love this board!

Yes, there is definitely a lot of information out there. Good, bad, OLD... it's always good to do your own research and ask your own questions. This board helped me out tremendously in the beginning... still does! ;)

OBXMom Explorer

Are you sure MSG never has gluten? My triumph dining cards puts it on the "I cannot eat" list, and I know I have seen it in a book or two. I'd be happy to learn they are wrong, of course.

psawyer Proficient
Are you sure MSG never has gluten?

Yes, I am quite sure. Recent information from multiple sources that I trust agree on this. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is gluten-free.

hannahp57 Contributor

I am allergic to msg so i can attest to the fact that it is not gluten. a gluten reaction and an msg reaction (at least for me are very differnt).

msg is a flavor enhancer and is not derived from gluten containing grains. but that's not to say people dont react to it for other reasons

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

OBXMom Explorer

Thank you for letting me know. It is upsetting to me that although I have only been learning about the gluten-free diet for 2 years, I'm already out of date. Can you recommend any really great current source that consolidates ingredient information? (Don't mean to sound lazy, but the multiple source thing is a bit beyond me . . .)

psawyer Proficient

Unsafe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Safe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

An excellent book is Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide by Shelley Case. Open Original Shared Link The focus of the book is the US and Canada.

A number of food companies have a labeling policy that they will clearly disclose by name any gluten grain in the ingredients. You can buy their products with confidence knowing that they have not hidden gluten in the product. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the label, its not there.

Open Original Shared Link

Tim-n-VA Contributor

According to Wikipedia's entry about Open Original Shared Link, there was a time over 50 years ago when wheat gluten was used in making MSG. If that is true, that historical fact is probably the root of a lot of the false rumors about MSG with regard to gluten.

OBXMom Explorer

Thank you, Peter! I appreciate this so much. I feel like I have been getting so much information piecemeal, and this will will help a lot.

- Jane

frogrun Apprentice
According to Wikipedia's entry about Open Original Shared Link, there was a time over 50 years ago when wheat gluten was used in making MSG. If that is true, that historical fact is probably the root of a lot of the false rumors about MSG with regard to gluten.

If MSG was a source of gluten 50 years ago, then isn't it possible that some MSG (not all) still contains gluten?

psawyer Proficient

I'm prepared to assume that there is no 50-year-old MSG left in any food manufacturer's inventory.

lovegrov Collaborator
If MSG was a source of gluten 50 years ago, then isn't it possible that some MSG (not all) still contains gluten?

Simply put, MSG is not a problem for people with celiac. Period.

richard

txplowgirl Enthusiast

MSG does not have gluten in it but a lot of people are sensitive/allergic to it.

I get heart palpatations and feel like i am about to pass out and get a really weak feeling.

Frances03 Enthusiast
I'm prepared to assume that there is no 50-year-old MSG left in any food manufacturer's inventory.

ROFL!!!!!!!!! Sometimes, just sometimes, your posts really crack me up!!! I laughed OUT LOUD at this one.

DougE Rookie

Hi all,

I had to check out this thread because I am confused too. The Canadian Celiac Association publishes a booklet of ingredients and labels them as either "Allowed", "Not allowed" or "Check?". MSG had been labeled as allowed, but the latest publication says "Check". The explanation is that MSG produced in North America is gluten-free, but that in Asia, wheat is sometimes "used in the fermentation process". I am guessing that the amount of MSG from Asia is rare on our grocery shelves but it makes me nervous. :o

DougE

psawyer Proficient

This is interesting, and would be a radical change in the position of the CCA. I have not seen anything in their newsletter about this, and I do try to read it carefully.

Food must conform to the labeling rules in the country where it is sold, regardless of where the ingredients come from, so at least in the US, wheat would have to be declared. The "check" status does not help in that case: If the MSG was derived from wheat, but was not labeled as required by law, do you really think that their telephone operators are going to say, "No, we lied, it actually is from wheat but we didn't say so on the label."

In Canada, the rules have some exceptions, but wheat is rarely concealed. Again, food sold in Canada must meet Canadian rules for labeling.

I have not yet seen the latest CCA pocket guide.

DougE Rookie
In Canada, the rules have some exceptions, but wheat is rarely concealed. Again, food sold in Canada must meet Canadian rules for labeling.

I have not yet seen the latest CCA pocket guide.

This did surprise me too because I read the newsletters as well. The guide also says that "...in Canada, current labeling regulations do not yet require a declaration of 'wheat' when used in the manufacturing of MSG."

DougE

• 2 months later...
New-To-This Rookie

richard

Richard, although MSG no longer contains gluten it IS a problem for some people, Celiac or not. Period, as you put it. Do not be so dismissive of something just because you do not have a problem with it. For those how want to know, MSG is made from beets usually. And unless your food is coming from another country, or react to MSG it is considered safe. Note I said safe, not good.

Lisa Mentor

richard

Richard, although MSG no longer contains gluten it IS a problem for some people, Celiac or not. Period, as you put it. Do not be so dismissive of something just because you do not have a problem with it. For those how want to know, MSG is made from beets usually. And unless your food is coming from another country, or react to MSG it is considered safe. Note I said safe, not good.

On a website related to issues pertaining to Celiac Disease, and it's associations, MSG is not of a gluten concern in the United States.

It's well known that many do not handle MSG well, and many have addition sensitivities.

lovegrov Collaborator

richard

I was speaking of concern about MSG containing gluten. If something else about MSG bothers you, then, by all mean, avoid it. I'm not dismissing that.

richard

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm all for people to post their concerns over any ingredient or product. It helps us all learn.

I know it's a law that food in the USA needs to be labeled if it contains any of the top 8 allergens. There are several problems with this:

1. Gluten is not one of them so it might not be labeled if it has something gluten that is not from wheat.

2. There are plenty of recalls because food was not labeled correctly--Breyers recalled their Cookies and Cream Ice Cream just lately because they....ooops....forgot to put wheat under their ingredients.

3. Many foods are being imported to the USA that are made in other countries that do not have these laws.

So reading the labels is a good thing and not believing blanket statements about items being gluten free is too. It may be true today but not tomorrow. Or someone forgot to change the ingredient label.

Remember that we all may have other food sensitivities/allergies is why keeping a food/symptom journal can help.

runningcrazy Contributor

I dont know if this is accurate, but according to this site, msg should be avoided. Like I said, i dont know though:

Open Original Shared Link

But then here it says its safe:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

and this says its not safe:

Open Original Shared Link Casein-free.com/articles/msg-restaurants.html

So i guess in other words, this post was of no benefit to this topic. I guess I just made it more confusing? Sorry, just thought i'd throw in some resources i found, although they contradict eachother

lovegrov Collaborator

Everything we have seen at this point says that the only way MSG would have gluten is through wheat, and that not in the U.S. If anybody knows of a way that barley is a threat, please give us the details.

thanks

richard

Archived