Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shess0816

Confused About Msg

the past few years with all the crap coming out of China, would you really trust *anything* from there, with or without MSG? It'll probably have antifreeze in it anyway. :P

the past few years with all the crap coming out of China, would you really trust *anything* from there, with or without MSG? It'll probably have antifreeze in it anyway. :P

I'm not sure how this really contributes to the question under discussion.

Trust whatever Richard says. MSG doesn't have gluten. However MSG may bother you for reasons other than gluten. I have a reaction to MSG, but those symptoms are different from my 'glutened' symptoms.

I'm all for people to post their concerns over any ingredient or product. It helps us all learn.

I know it's a law that food in the USA needs to be labeled if it contains any of the top 8 allergens. There are several problems with this:

1. Gluten is not one of them so it might not be labeled if it has something gluten that is not from wheat.

2. There are plenty of recalls because food was not labeled correctly--Breyers recalled their Cookies and Cream Ice Cream just lately because they....ooops....forgot to put wheat under their ingredients.

3. Many foods are being imported to the USA that are made in other countries that do not have these laws.

So reading the labels is a good thing and not believing blanket statements about items being gluten free is too. It may be true today but not tomorrow. Or someone forgot to change the ingredient label.

Remember that we all may have other food sensitivities/allergies is why keeping a food/symptom journal can help.

On point # 2:

This is where common sense takes over. If it is called COOKIES and cream, don't you expect wheat?

On point # 3:

Food sold in the US must conform to US labeling laws, regardless of national origin.