K-Dawg

Help - Gluten Free Broths? (canada)

Rate this topic

hey

Can anyone help me out...I"m trying to find some gluten free broth because I'm sick of making it from scratch.

I know that campbell's lists their vegetable broth as a Canadian product with no added gluten. I am also aware of the glutino gluten-free soup bases. I am not able to have either of these products due to some other allergies and I would love to find a gluten-free chicken broth to use in sauces, gravies, etc

Please help.

FYI - I'm in Toronto, spend a lot of time in North York and downtown so if you know of a certain place in the city that I can go...tell me. I'll go!!

THANKS

KDawg

Hi there, neighbour,

You don't say what your other food allergies are, so I'm a bit in the dark. Bovril bouillon concentrate powder (in foil pouches) is gluten-free in both chicken and beef (we use it). Bovil liquid chicken concentrate is gluten-free, but the beef is NOT.

Bovril is by Knorr, which is a Unilever company. Unilever will always clearly label gluten grains by name in the ingredients list, so if the Bovril isn't suitable, read labels on other Knorr products and you may find one that is.

We buy most of our food at Longo's or Loblaw. Selection at Loblaw varies widely by location. The one at Bayview and Hwy 7 in Richmond Hill has a lot. I live in Unionville and work in the Yonge-Lawrence area. We do most of our shopping north of Steeles. If you want, I can list other stores that carry gluten-free specialty items. Let me know.

:)

ha ha - hey Neighbour!

thanks so much for the information -- I am absolutely going to the grocery store to check out the Bovril and knorr items you mention. I was not aware that Unilever clearly lists gluten (as does Con Agra, I believe).

I would LOVE it if you list off some stores that carry gluten free speciality items. Since I'm living in North York (near Mel Lastman squre), it's easy to drive North and I'll check out that Loblaws on Bayview. The only specialty store I know of is Chapmans (and you are the one who told me about it in an earlier posting).

Thanks!

Hi there, neighbour,

You don't say what your other food allergies are, so I'm a bit in the dark. Bovril bouillon concentrate powder (in foil pouches) is gluten-free in both chicken and beef (we use it). Bovil liquid chicken concentrate is gluten-free, but the beef is NOT.

Bovril is by Knorr, which is a Unilever company. Unilever will always clearly label gluten grains by name in the ingredients list, so if the Bovril isn't suitable, read labels on other Knorr products and you may find one that is.

We buy most of our food at Longo's or Loblaw. Selection at Loblaw varies widely by location. The one at Bayview and Hwy 7 in Richmond Hill has a lot. I live in Unionville and work in the Yonge-Lawrence area. We do most of our shopping north of Steeles. If you want, I can list other stores that carry gluten-free specialty items. Let me know.

:)

Glutino (the great Canadian company) makes several gluten-free broths in little white plastic bottles. Also, you can order "better than bullion" from Amazon.

Hi! I'm in oakville, I actually purchased the superstore store's brand of organic chicken broth. there is no gluten listed in the ingredients and I had no problem eating it. you could look at it, its a good price too haha. ive used the beef and chicken broth.

Hi there,

I've been using Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock - it is labeled "gluten free" on the package - I got this from Wholefoods around Bloor and Avenue. I'm going to check out the other options listed in this thread though since it's more expensive.

Pacific makes some gluten-free broths in 1L tetra packs. They are available at Costco in a six pack and it is clearly labelled gluten-free on the bottom of the box. I'm out west though so I'm not sure if this available out east.