This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could These Be Symptoms Too?

dfish

dfish Apprentice

Hi folks! I recently had my diagnosis of celiac confirmed through Enterolabs; prior to that, I was eating gluten for a gluten challenge that was scheduled with my doctor. Since getting the Enterolab results back, however, I have ceased the gluten challenge and stopped eating gluten. I have also stopped eating casein. However, I am having some major problems and am just wondering if this could be related to celiac. I have also been diagnosed with GERD in the past and believe some of this is GERD related, but not all of it. I have been feeling just downright horrible these last two to three weeks. I have a cough that will not go away, feel extremely fatigued (cannot seem to stay awake longer than two or three hours), a "foggy" feeling in my brain like I just can't concentrate and almost like I am perpetually dizzy, some anxiety where my heart starts racing and I get some pretty significant pains in my chest, a feeling like I can't swallow, and some water retention/swelling. I have been to the doctor and have had every heart/lung test imaginable, all are normal with the exception of a bit of a respiratory infection that I am taking antibiotics for. The worst part is the feeling that I am just "off", that my brain and body are in total shutdown mode. I've missed almost two weeks of work because I can't even hardly drag myself out of bed I'm so exhausted and foggy feeling. Can exposure to gluten and casein, like in a challenge, cause this over time? I've only been gluten free for a week or so and realize I wouldn't start feeling better that soon, but are these symptoms that could even possibly be caused by gluten exposure? I have to get out of this haze/fog/sick thing or else I'm going to lose my job and I'm not sure what to ask the doctor to look for any more since we've tested for pretty much everything already!

Thanks much!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Fatigue is THE most common symptom of celiac. Mental fogginess sort of goes along with the fatigue. Have you been tested for anemia? The dizziness also can be a celiac symptom, although there are many other causes. The anxiety and racing heart could be happening simply because you're worried about what's going on.

I was very ill and so fatigued I could barely walk by myself. I was so weak I ended up missing 10 weeks of work and even then couldn't work full days for a while.

richard

nikki-uk Enthusiast

My husband had all of your symptoms,in particular the difficulty swallowing/sore throat,and swelling/water retention in his feet & legs,extreme fatigue.

Hopefully,keep at it.It's probably gonna take more than a week to start undoing some of that damage.

I know once you get your diagnosis-and get your head round a gluten freediet it can be disappointing not to see immediate results-hang in there!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

In medicine school I learnt that swallowing problems and cough that won't stop could be one additional sign of a heart attack. But since you've had every test with your doctor, you should've ruled that out. It was just one thing I thought about firsthand, when I started to read your thread. But being dizzy, "foggy", fatitgued and having the GERD. I had that, too. It should get better after a while. If not, see your doctor again.

Stef

tarnalberry Community Regular

Gluten can definitely make you tired and brain foggy, but don't discount how much a respiratory infection can bring you down as well. If it's making it hard to breath, it can really smack your body down! :-)

I would encourage you to continue to be patient with the diet, and try to get _some_ exercise (even if it's just 15 minutes of walking before a nap) to help you feeling better sooner.

ianm Apprentice

I had all of the symptoms you've described and it will take some time. It does get better. The fatigue and brain fog are gone now but it took 3 months to start feeling better and a year before I was healthy. You didn't get this way overnight and your body won't heal overnight. We've all been there so keep at it because it is worth it.

Lesliean Apprentice

While it could always be something else and so its great that you have a good doctor, all your symptoms sound like those Celiacs have. I presented to my doctor with trouble swallowing (GERD), trouble breathing (vocal chord and throat swelling), coughing and clearing (increase in mucus produced by the throat as a result of the inflammation in the throat) constantly. I was diagnosed with laryngopharneal reflux but I diagnosed the Celiacs and was confirmed by Enterolab. After 92 days (Yepee) gluten-free the throat swelling coughing congestion clearing and trouble breathing is gone completely. I think my entire gastro lining from mouth to butt was inflammed by gluten.

I hear on the boards racing heart beat a lot and while it could have to do with thyroid function, I also think it is an independent symptom to the gluten. My heart beat irregularly (I thought I was going to die) and now it beats regularly again solely becuase of living gluten-free.

The brain fog and fatigue are also common symptoms. I hope your symptoms go away with the GFD soon. They really don't sound like any fun at all. :o

Leslie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmmadden Contributor

I get the fatigue, dizzyness and heart racing sometimes too. I haven't quite figured out what causes the symptoms but it is usually in response to something I've eaten. I took the York Lab FoodScan test and am awaiting the results (They are very slow!) to see if I am alergic to anything else beside gluten/wheat.

It's real easy to think positive when you are feeling well but, try and keep your chin up when times are tough. Try and keep your focus on the ultimate goal of healing your intestine's and hopefully in time you will see improvement and feel better.

Best Of Luck!

Cleveland Bob B)

debm5 Newbie

Hello,

O.K. I'll try to keep this short. 3-19-04 I had a spell to where I could not talk,stand, focus. Body movement same as a seizure.

ER stated psuedo seizure(fake). I was treated awful by the er doctors. They told me I could control this. I was given a relaxer and sent on my way. After being through the spell, and medicated, they offered no wheelchair or their arm to hold onto. I met my hubby in the lobby from there. I am still on doctors orders not to drive, or go back to work by my primary doc. I'm to unpredictable

I am still having many spells. hospitalized twice, er twice. test came back neg for epi, m/s, lupus etc.One doc told me it was due to mental stress,anxiety. Like we all do I do have my share of stress. I have read on this site on side effects.

Seizures & anemia can be an issue. Has anyone else been through something like this. PLEASE let me know!!

Debbie

foodphobic Newbie

I am still fairly new at this. My record for staying gluten-free is 13 days in a row without being sick. When I eat the wrong thing, I have all the symptoms you listed. I have trouble waking up, staying awake, functioning mentally, heart palpitations (especially when I am lying down), and I turn into an absolute beast for about 24-36 hours. I got very concerned, because I thought I was getting worse instead of better. But one kind person responded that the reaction is worse when you start to heal, so I'm hanging in there.

As I continue to get better at this, I have lost the reflux (GERD) altogether. I haven't had the palpitations as much. I sleep better. I still get tired easily even though my iron is fine, but I hope that will go away eventually as well. But when I eat the wrong thing, for at least 24 hours, I am a mental, physical and emotional train wreck. I have muscle cramps, joint pain, headaches, dizziness, and I suffer from stupidity. I lock myself out of places, pay for my groceries and start to walk away without them, etc. It's embarrassing and very frustrating. But, then I will be chipper and happy the next day and every day until I slip up again.

The sore throat might be the result of allergies. I started having lots of allergies for several months before I was diagnosed which I never had before. I have 2 long-haired indoor cats and a horse that I ride through fields of weeds, so allergies were never a problem before. Suddenly, my head was always stuffy, I got ear infections (which I never had before) which often resulted in temporary vertigo and earaches, sore throats, itchy eyes and ears, sneezing. The whole allergy thing. I still have those symptoms, but not as often or as severe. My immune system is working overtime, so all sorts of other things are slipping in and taking hold. I am hoping some of this will clear up as I stop providing gluten to my immune-system. I'm on day 6 of meeting and, hopefully, beating my 13-day record. I was just thinking how wonderful it is to go to bed without any strange abdominal activity or pain, and waking up not feeling like I want to punch someone (anyone) in the nose.

My newest thing is my hands. I have developed dry flaky skin between my fingers, and my rings create red bands of tender, flaky skin around my fingers. Abandoned the rings, and now I'm thinking I need to try a different hand lotion. Every day is a new adventure. : )

Wendy (aka foodphobic)

Archived