ann72601

Need Name Of Reliable Testing

Rate this topic

I have family members who would like to get tests done but aren't 'sick' yet. Does anyone know of any resources for getting tests done through online, reliable labs? I can't tell one from the other. Any help would be appreciated.

In order to have the blood tests done to evaluate for Celiac Disease, you have to see your doctor and your doctor can order the tests.

I have family members who would like to get tests done but aren't 'sick' yet. Does anyone know of any resources for getting tests done through online, reliable labs? I can't tell one from the other. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't need it for myself. I have a diagnosis already.

Blood tests are the starting point, for which they need to go to their doctor. They need to let the doctor know they would like to be tested because of your diagnosis. If their doctor is unfamiliar with Celiac Disease they may need to explain that Celiac can cause damage before obvious symptoms.

People may dismiss early symptoms because they can be vague. I know I did - symptoms were transient for years - in hind site I now understand that it was Celiac that caused many minor and not so minor ailments for me over the years and certainly explains my anemia in my 20s and 30s.

Blood tests are the starting point, for which they need to go to their doctor. They need to let the doctor know they would like to be tested because of your diagnosis. If their doctor is unfamiliar with Celiac Disease they may need to explain that Celiac can cause damage before obvious symptoms.

People may dismiss early symptoms because they can be vague. I know I did - symptoms were transient for years - in hind site I now understand that it was Celiac that caused many minor and not so minor ailments for me over the years and certainly explains my anemia in my 20s and 30s.

Thank you. Several people in the family have commonalities with my own health history, so at this point, it's a starting place for them. I don't think they want or even able to spend the kind of money that the full work-up costs. Plus getting someone to take them seriously is a problem. I've read on this forum in the past, that some people have been tested through online sources and then took those results to their doctors, which is what I'm looking for.

I understand about all the layers of problems we develop; all too well. Over 10 years myself and now I'm dealing with the celiac along with disease and damage that I'm having to work through too.

It would be nice to be able to help some of the relatives not have to go through this.

Thanks again!!

Thank you. Several people in the family have commonalities with my own health history, so at this point, it's a starting place for them. I don't think they want or even able to spend the kind of money that the full work-up costs. Plus getting someone to take them seriously is a problem. I've read on this forum in the past, that some people have been tested through online sources and then took those results to their doctors, which is what I'm looking for.

I understand about all the layers of problems we develop; all too well. Over 10 years myself and now I'm dealing with the celiac along with disease and damage that I'm having to work through too.

It would be nice to be able to help some of the relatives not have to go through this.

Thanks again!!

There are 2 tests online that I've found, though I haven't done either of them. I'm still waiting on my labwork (it's been over a week--??), but here are the websites for them:

https://myceliacid.com/ A saliva test to see whether you carry the genes for celiac. Apparently about 30% of the population carries them, though, so this sounds interesting, but will not tell you if you have celiac.

http://celiachometest.com/ This is called a Biocard, and it is a home blood test for antibodies to gluten which I think is like a pregnancy test in that, while a positive is a good indication that you are celiac, a negative does not mean you're not. You can read more about it on that website. If anyone else has any more input on those, please speak up! *I can't figure out how to get this test in the US -- this is a Canadian website.*

No matter who it is, the person interested in a true diagnosis of Celiac needs to a see a doctor to have the bloodwork run.

The biocard test is not available in the US.

The gene test does not diagnose Celiac - as you linked, about 1/3 of the population has the gene(s), so it is not diagnostic.