This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Gluten Free And Nauseous Everyday, Advice!

Kathleen Smith

Kathleen Smith Contributor

Hi Everyone! I was seeking advice and suggestions from you all.

I was diagnosed about 6 months with Celiac. I had been eating gluten free as much as I knew. I thought I was doing well (turns out, in the begining I had accidently had gluten, althought not much).

I was really feeling good. No more bloating/stomach cramps and to my surpise my migraines were no longer (cant believe it, have had them 16 years).

Then I guess becuase I didnt truelly believe then that "cheating" was not a good idea if it was just once in awhile, I ate out a few times at resturaunts in August, knowing I was eating gluten. I would feel bloated/stomach cramps immediately.

Since end August begining of September I was nauseous BAD every day and still am. Needless to say I have NOT cheated and have made the FULL committment to this diet now (no cheating, i get it). I went to GI doc had blood tests and ultrasound. All normal. She sad my antigen # which was originally 37 was now 10 and that I must be sick from just that.

I am now on Prilosec (which doesnt stop nausea) and I go back to GI doc first week of Nov.

I guess I am wondering, if the nausea is related to the "Cheating" in August and gluten still being in my system OR if this healing part of going gluten free really does make you feel sick. I ask because Nausea was never my problem before it was bloating/pain (apparently headaches/anxiety).

Milk doesnt seem to bother me. I cut out coffee b/c it sometimes it bothers and sometimes doesnt.

thank you all in advance for reading my post and any suggestions you may make.

Kathleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I started being nauseated everyday about a year after I went gluten-free. It turned out to be my gallbladder. Once I had it out, the nausea went away.

In nursing school we learned the four "f's" of gallbladder disease: fair, female, forty and fat.

I fit almost all of those when I had mine out! :P

gf-soph Apprentice

Hi Kathleen

I went gluten-free about a year ago, and have been majorly glutened twice since then. The second time I decided to do a deliberate gluten exposure so that I could pinpoint if I had any tell-tale symptoms. I can tell you that for a full 2 months after that I had almost no appetite (amongst other problems). Not nausea like you, but I just woudn't get hungry no matter how little i ate or how busy I was, it was like my stomach didn't empty. Only after a couple of months has my appetite come back. I think it is possible that it is a post-gluten effect. My symptoms now from gluten are also very different to the problems I had before going gluten free.

If this goes on it could be a good idea to keep a food and symtpom diary. They can be very useful, as there a lots of other foods which you may be reacting to, and it seems to be pretty common to experience other food problems after going gluten free.

Best of luck

Sophie

Thanks for the info.

Apparently my gallbladder is fine, but I will bring it up again at the Doc in November.

I am just still hoping that; with time, I will feel good eating gluten free and not bad all the time. I am committed and hopeful but in the back of my mind wish it would start getting better already. You find out you have Celiac and start doing everything right ( and it is a learning curve at first) and although I dont have headaches and bloating I now have daily nausea (everyday).

Best of luck to both of you and thank you for your input

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks for the info.

Apparently my gallbladder is fine, but I will bring it up again at the Doc in November.

I am just still hoping that; with time, I will feel good eating gluten free and not bad all the time. I am committed and hopeful but in the back of my mind wish it would start getting better already. You find out you have Celiac and start doing everything right ( and it is a learning curve at first) and although I dont have headaches and bloating I now have daily nausea (everyday).

Best of luck to both of you and thank you for your input

Have you tried eliminating soy and dairy for while to see if it helps? Many of us have other intolerances and soy and casien top the list.

lizard00 Enthusiast
Have you tried eliminating soy and dairy for while to see if it helps? Many of us have other intolerances and soy and casien top the list.

I echo this suggestion. Soy makes me very nauseous and gives me a headache; gluten does, too, but it takes much longer for the gluten nausea to kick in, and it is worse and lasts much longer. If you look at most of the people here, it seems that most of us don't get away with having only one intolerance. <_<

Matt007b Rookie

wow soon as I saw this post from the original poster I had to speak up..

I went gluten free like oo... 6 months ago..and a year ago as well, both times failed. Wrote it off as "nope i'm not gluten intolerant" I've been sick for 4 years now and now unemployed (anxiety ridden/severe IBS issues..insomia..)

Turns out I was EXTREMELY intolerant to soy, that's why the diets failed! One touch of that stuff and I get severe nausea so I for sure would look at that. Also look at your ingredients super close, even though you might not see soy listed and you might think "ok i'm soy free so what's the deal?" you have to look beyond in the ingredients, companies will call it "mixed troccopoles" or something like that (or call it natural flavorings/vitamin E for example..) A few products I thought would be totally safe turned out to have soy in them, and wow I can tell the difference! Took about 4 days for the stuff to get semi-out of my system so watch out for soy! I would just go grain free for a good week and see what happens. No soy milk/even gluten free waffles had soy in them..UGH I was soo sick..

Not sure if I'm gluten intolerant or not but I highly suspect I am..hopefully i'll get feeling better soon, i'm only day 5 gluten free. :( but thanks for this greatwebsite, I've been lurking and more and more I think i'm joining the gluten intolerant crowd. Hopefully i'll fly again *sigh* :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks everyone. I am off milk. I didnt think I had any soy, but I will re-check ingrediants.

Weekday mornings I eat: Gluten Free waffles ( I will double check that). Weekends: eggs/poatotes

Lunches are either: Salad with chicken/egg or egg/chicken and some kind of bean (kidney, black)

With a gluten free balsamic vingerette from, I think Maple Grove.

I have stopped the salads thinking they were to hard to digest.

Or for lunch I will have dinner lefterovers which are usually chicken or pork. A mix of veggies and rice.

I do tend to snack on either gluten free pretzels by Glutino or Corn chips with hummus or fresh salsa.

Any suggestions on the foods I am eating.

Oh, I drink wine a couple nights a week too......

Thanks Everyone, this is great. I almost thought I may have bacteria thing going on. I was doing REALLY good/ feeling REALLY good, then in August I slipped up and ate mashed potoates from a resturant (leftovers of my boyfriends to boot) and that was when this all started. That night I had intense cramping, bathroom issues, and have been getting nauseous everyday since then.

Have to GI doc since then. She did bloodwork and ultrasound all fine.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks everyone. I am off milk. I didnt think I had any soy, but I will re-check ingrediants.

Weekday mornings I eat: Gluten Free waffles ( I will double check that). Weekends: eggs/poatotes

Lunches are either: Salad with chicken/egg or egg/chicken and some kind of bean (kidney, black)

With a gluten free balsamic vingerette from, I think Maple Grove.

I have stopped the salads thinking they were to hard to digest.

Or for lunch I will have dinner lefterovers which are usually chicken or pork. A mix of veggies and rice.

I do tend to snack on either gluten free pretzels by Glutino or Corn chips with hummus or fresh salsa.

Any suggestions on the foods I am eating.

Oh, I drink wine a couple nights a week too......

Thanks Everyone, this is great. I almost thought I may have bacteria thing going on. I was doing REALLY good/ feeling REALLY good, then in August I slipped up and ate mashed potoates from a resturant (leftovers of my boyfriends to boot) and that was when this all started. That night I had intense cramping, bathroom issues, and have been getting nauseous everyday since then.

Have to GI doc since then. She did bloodwork and ultrasound all fine.

Check the bag on those pretzels. If memory serves me they are loaded with soy. I am extremely intolrant of soy and I did finally find one pretzel that is gluten free. They are put out by Ener-g and called Wylde Pretzels. They are really good. Also be careful of the corn chips. Many are made in plants that use a lot of gluten ingredients and the CC can be an issue.

In place of the salads you might want to try making a 'salad' of just cut up veggies. My system also had a hard time digesting lettuce at first. I made salad with stuff like green and yellow squash sliced cukes, shredded carrots and sometimes some beans or what ever I had on hand. Early on your system may also prefer your veggies cooked as they are easier to digest.

Thank everone has been so helpful. I am officially in what I like to call "Phase 2" of this eating gluten free process. The first part, you learn the basic, then you make mistakes and take it a step further (Phase 2) to learn of hidden gluten and other intolerences. I thank you all so much for helping me in this process.

I wanted to throw this out there. I stayed away from milk. Those gluten-free waffles do have soy in them. They certainly dont bother me immediately and seem to be okay. What is weird is the intense nausea started last week of August maybe first week of Sept when I "cheated" and ate my boyfriends leftovers mashed potatoes from a resturaunt. Immediately I had bowel issues and horrible stomach cramping (really bad). EVERY DAY since then I have been nauseous. My boss brought up the idea that maybe I have some bacteria thing going on and even though I have been to GI doc for blood work and ultrasound, that would show up necessarily. So since Saturday I have been taking acidopholis (and eating smaller lunch b/c it always starts an hour or two after that meal - no matter what it is) and Saturday I had no nausea. Sunday no nausea. Monday, mild nausea after l unch, but nothing to complain about. We'll see how today goes (eating lunch now)..

\

SylviaZ Newbie

Hi! I am new to this message board. Thank you for all of your inputs! I can look at some other causes of my symptoms.

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in June of this year. Before the diagnosis I was have diahrea and vomiting episodes about every 4-5 days. I felt better for a couple of weeks after I went on the diet. But after about 2 weeks I was nauseous all the time and was having severe episodes every 2 weeks. I had one particularly bad episode the first week if September. I had gallstones and an infection starting. I had my gall bladder out 4 weeks ago but I am still having symptoms. My cat scans before the surgery were normal, but a sonogram showed the rather large gallstones. So if your doctor hasn't done a sonogram, ask for it!

I am still having nasuea and episodes every two weeks. My daughter (a pharmacy technician) and I started looking at my medications today and discovered that some of them have gluten in them! Tomorrow, I will see about getting meds without gluten.

Thanks again about the tips on soy and milk! I consume a lot of both, so I guess I will have to try rice milk. How long does it usually take t really feel better, once you get all of the gluten from your diet?

SylviaZ

Archived