MKat

Best Way To Freeze Foods

Rate this topic

I'm the only gluten-free in my family so when I make a dish of cornbread, or brownies or muffins I've been freezing them. I'm wondering what is the best way to freeze? So far I've been wrapping each item individually wiht saran wrap and putting them in a reqular baggie. I'm wondering if this will do the trick? Should I buy freezer bags? They also have the expensive ways but I'd rather not go there. I just don't want to lose all my goodies! Suggestions??

I usually wrap in plastic wrap then in tin foil. Some things I vacuum seal....hth

mamaw

I usually wrap like you do but also put the bag in a freezer bag, then I reuse the outer freezer bags. Or I wrap and put the bags into plastic containers. Depends on what I freeze. Containers stack up while bags fall and are not flat. You can recycle your plastic. Cool whip or larger yogurt containers are mostly what I have on hand. If you buy any be sure the lid snaps on tightly, some of the cheaper ones look like they do but they don't. Sliding zipper bags can break/split at the zipper, and its hard to re-zip them after they are stuffed and frozen b/c the food expands. I like the original press and zip better. I think bread items need extra protection. I triple wrap waffles for instance, individually then into bags and use wrap and plastic for pizza crusts. Freezer bags are thicker than storage bags and storage bags are thicker than sandwich bags.

Sometimes I wash the bags if they are not messy and reuse them ;)

I usually wrap like you do but also put the bag in a freezer bag, then I reuse the outer freezer bags. Or I wrap and put the bags into plastic containers. Depends on what I freeze. Containers stack up while bags fall and are not flat. You can your recycle plastic. Cool whip or larger yogurt containers are mostly what I have on hand. If you buy any be sure the lid snaps on tightly, some of the cheaper ones look like they do but they don't. Sliding zipper bags can break/split at the zipper, and its hard to re-zip them after they are stuffed and frozen b/c the food expands. I like the original press and zip better. I think bread items need extra protection. I triple wrap waffles for instance, individually then into bags and use wrap and plastic for pizza crusts. Freezer bags are thicker than storage bags and storage bags are thicker than sandwich bags.

Sometimes I wash the bags if they are not messy and reuse them ;)

I'm a careful freezer-person, but I do horrible things to baked products, mostly because we go through them so fast that freezer burn isn't much of an issue. I say, if they're brownies or something even remotely similar, throw them in your favorite container and don't worry about it much more.

I've never experienced any kind of off taste or texture on those kind of things.

I've done the same thing that you do, but I also use freezer bags and will put the smaller bags into a large freezer bag. For frosted cakes, I cut in individual pieces and then put in rectangular plastic containers.