This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feel Like I'm Going Crazy...

Angi

Angi Newbie

Hi -

I'm so glad I found this forum - I feel like I'm going crazy and was wondering if I could bounce my experience off of some of you more experienced forum members! (Prologue: about six months ago, began getting kind of a "buffalo hump" and round face so two months ago I scheduled an endocrinologist appointment for September 29 to check for a possible adrenal disorder.)

On September 4, I had what I now guess was a panic attack while at the airport (for no reason whatsoever). I have never had one in my life - thought I was literally going to die. I threw up and the horrible feelings and headache lasted three days. The severe nausea for six so I went to GP for bloodwork to check enzyme levels, etc. because I had been diagnosed with an underfunctioning gallbladder six years ago (E/F 29), but was never very symptomatic so I never had it taken out. Although I was nauseous and had slight epigastric discomfort, it did not feel like a gallbladder attack. And I've never thrown up because of a gallbladder attack. Began feeling better. Had another "episode" on September 17. This one was worse and landed me in the ER because my right leg and right hand began going numb as well. Freaked me out - thought I was having a stroke. Bloodwork and brain CT all normal. SEVERE nausea has not gone away since. I've lost 10lbs in three weeks because of it. Endocrinologist tested me for pheochromocytoma and Cushing's. Pheochromocytoma is an adrenal tumor which causes adrenaline surges (for no reason) and I had about every symptom of it. Test was negative for that (thank God) and Cushing's results are not back yet. Endo kind of treated me like I was crazy. Had yet another "episode" the night of September 29. Same thing, but I refused to go to the ER this time. Went to my internist and he sent me for another HIDA scan (for gallbladder function). Miraculously, my EF was 61%. Gallbladders aren't supposed to get better so that was good news, but what's causing my symptoms? He also gave me a scrip for phenergen (sp?) for nausea, but to be honest, it hasn't really helped when I've taken it - just made me sleepy. And still nauseous when I wake up! Went to gastroenterologist yesterday and she set up an endoscopy for 10/19. I had seen her six years ago because of intermittent diarrhea and some tummy troubles and was tested for and diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Stopped dairy and now use Lactaid pills and no problems since. Well, my paternal aunt has Celiac and I think my paternal grandmother had undiagnosed Celiac and apparently, no one from my gastroenterologist office told me six years ago that my blood test came back reactive! I had cancelled my endoscopy back then because eliminating lactose corrected my symptoms. Now, I'm nauseous every day to the point that it's debilitating. I feel "panicky" most of the time and practically unable to function. I've had some loose stools since all this happened, but attributed that to not eating very much or eating the wrong thing. I've had really foggy thinking for awhile now, but thought that had to do with hormones from being pregnant and nursing (my son is 16mos old). Internist said "maybe you have adhesions from your c-sections that are pushing on your stomach and that's what's causing your nausea", but I don't have any pain in my abdomen or anywhere else. No gas pains or anything. Just epigastric pressure with severe nausea (or just not being hungry at all) and some belching. I could actually deal with the nausea if the headaches and panicky feelings would go away. Now my internist wants to do abdominal CT to check for adhesions (good to rule out I guess). I've had about all the bloodwork one person can have and it's all "normal". Gastro took more blood yesterday for Celiac, etc. and they're testing me for parasites as well. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them? Could it be Celiac? Since the first "episode" on September 4, I've eaten what I could keep down and I'm sure that has included gluten on practically every occasion because I didn't even think of it as a problem - I just wanted to nourish myself. Could I be perpetuating my own misery?!?! As of tonight I'm going totally gluten-free and I'm going to see if that will help me. I would be so grateful for any thoughts or comments that anyone might have...

Take care,

Angi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
I feel like I'm going crazy

a panic attack while at the airport (for no reason whatsoever).

I threw up and the horrible feelings and headache lasted three days. The severe nausea for six

diagnosed with an underfunctioning gallbladder six years ago

my right leg and right hand began going numb

SEVERE nausea has not gone away since. I've lost 10lbs in three weeks because of it.

Endo kind of treated me like I was crazy.

diagnosed as lactose intolerant.

Well, my paternal aunt has Celiac and I think my paternal grandmother had undiagnosed Celiac and apparently, no one from my gastroenterologist office told me six years ago that my blood test came back reactive!

Now, I'm nauseous every day to the point that it's debilitating.

I feel "panicky" most of the time and practically unable to function.

I've had some loose stools since all this happened,

I've had really foggy thinking for awhile now

epigastric pressure with severe nausea (or just not being hungry at all) and some belching.

headaches and panicky feelings

Gastro took more blood yesterday for Celiac, etc. and they're testing me for parasites as well.

Could it be Celiac?

Hi Angi, and welcome to the forum.

You will see I have gone through your post and picked out certain parts of it. This board is littered with similar complaints. Nausea, gas, belching, neurological symptoms, headaches, panic attacks, what appear to be galbladder problems (many have unnecessarily had their gallbladders removed), loose stools, lactose intolerance, brain fog, being treated like we are crazy by doctors, etc. etc. You sound like a classic case of, if not celiac disease, at least gluten intolerance. I am glad your doctor drew a celiac panel for you. If it is positive she will want to do the endoscopy to check for villous atrophy in your small intestine in which case you should probably keep eating gluten for a few more days, although 10 days would probably not be long enough for sufficient healing to take place to negate the test.

I really can't believe no one communicated the results of the test from 6 years ago. :o

I wish you good luck on finally getting the answers you have been searching for. Let us know your results.

Nancym Enthusiast

I remember seeing an episode of Mystery Diagnosis, a lady with something wrong that was causing excess cortisol hormone production. She gained a ton of weight, had changes in her mood, and she had that buffalo hump. Cortisol is a stress hormone linked with adrenaline and such, could this be a possibility?

Archived