Frances03

Please Help Me Read Son's Results

Rate this topic

As you know, I had some trouble even getting MY results read, but now I have my son's in hand and the pediatrician is not sure what they mean. She is referring us to a pediatric gastroenterologist, but we have to go to another state and it may take 2 to 3 months to get an appt. So I intend to research as much as I can on my own and possible see if anyone can see him while we are here in Colorado on this trip. So this is what she ordered and what I have so far....he is almost 10 by the way.

Immunoglobulin A 38 reference range (45-234)

Endomysial IgA Antibody 5 reference range (0-19)

If Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA is negative the Endomysial Ab, Iga Titer by IFA is not performed.INTERPRETIVE DATA: Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IgA IgA antibody against human tTG, if detected at a level greater than 19 units, may suggest the posibility of certain gluten sensitive enterothapies such as celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.

This is totally different than what my results said, I did not even have this endomysial IgA on my results, I just had the tissue transglutaminase, and I dont understand this. The lab told me that this test IS the tissue transglutaminase, and that his result for tissue transglutaminase is 5. But this says Endomysial IgA, so I'm confused.

Also ordered was an ESR Auto, his result was 14 and the reference range was 0-10, but she said she is not concerned wtih that as it wasn't very high.

Can anyone make any sense of this for me? And is there any other tests I should ask for? Thanks.

It appears from this-

Immunoglobulin A 38 reference range (45-234)

that your son may be IGA deficient, that would cause a false negative on the celiac screening tests.

If he is symptomatic it would be a good idea, IMHO to give him a good strict trial on the diet after you are done with all testing.