sunnybabi1986

Enterolab Vs. Bloodwork/endoscopy

Rate this topic

I'm almost certain that I am gluten intolerant. Over the past 8 months I've had:

• Stomach bloating
  • Intestinal bloating/gas
  • Nausea
  • Severe exhaustion
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Full body aches
  • Joint pains

My doctor ran a full panel of bloodwork, minus testing for celiac, and anemia and thyroid problems were ruled out.

My problem is that I don't have insurance, so I really can't afford to have more bloodwork run and a possible endoscopy just to get a negative result when I might actually have celiac.

I've read so many stories about people going through the bloodwork and endoscopy numerous times with negative results each time, only to be tested by enterolabs, come back with a positive, go off gluten, and feel 100% better. Honestly, I'm so skeptical of the bloodwork and endoscopy I don't want to waste my money on it. I'm going straight for the testing through enterolab.

I was just wondering what you guys' take is on this matter. Is it really a waste of time to pay out of pocket for expensive procedures through my doctor when I can just go straight to enterolab and get a more accurate test done? I just don't see the point in even doing bloodwork when so many celiacs test negative with bloodwork anyway, but get positive results through enterolab.

Thanks so much!

The lab you mention does not test for Celiac. It can indicate a gluten sensitivity, but does not diagnose Celiac.

Sorry, I worded what I said wrong.

I know it doesn't diagnose celiac, but it would tell me if I have a gluten sensitivity, which would give me some answers as to why I'm sick the way I am. It would give me the information I need to know if I should go on a gluten free diet. I'm afraid the bloodwork wouldn't give me those answers.

If money is an issue, it may be worth it to do a gluten free 'trial' for a set amount of time, and see if you feel better. If you don't feel better on the gluten free diet, but do have a positive test from e-lab (their findings have not been replicated in other places, yet), then you may still need follow up medical care. Just trying the diet may give you the answers you need. If you have symptoms, and are trying the diet to relieve the symptoms, then a gluten free challenge would be more accurate than testing. If it doesn't help (say, 1 month, or two months) or provide improvement, then you'll know gluten isn't a problem. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm currently trying to go gluten free for awhile to see what happens. You mentioned a month or two...is this how long it will take to start seeing results if gluten is the problem? Or will it just take a week to start feeling better? Thanks!

I'm currently trying to go gluten free for awhile to see what happens. You mentioned a month or two...is this how long it will take to start seeing results if gluten is the problem? Or will it just take a week to start feeling better? Thanks!

It depends. I started noticing a difference with my GI issues when I began cutting back gluten. That is, I discovered that when I'd be without for a couple of days, and then ate gluten, I'd feel like crap again immediately. I also discovered this way that spelt was just as bad as wheat (I was hoping I could just do wheat-free and not gluten-free, but no such luck).

However, it took 6 months before I noticed that my chronic fatigue and "fibromyalgia" symptoms had disappeared. This was an unlooked-for but welcome surprise after being on the diet for quite a while.

Different people are different. Some will notice a difference immediately. My son felt so bad by the end of Saturday he decided he'd never eat gluten again; by this morning, he was feeling fine.

Others don't notice any changes for a long time -- sometimes a month or two or even longer.

My feeling is that most people fall somewhere in between.