Mom2Twins

Ttg Positive After 1 Year Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. I need to ask the experts on this board.

I asked my doc (who I adore, by the way, and never would have been diagnosed if he had not suggested celiac) to run a celiac panel on me, as I am still having occasional *gluten* symptoms, and would like to rule out that I am still accidentally ingesting gluten. I have been gluten-free for one year.

They tested TTG (IgA, I think) and that came back positive. I think my result was 89 (it was over 200 last year). My EMA came back negative.

I thought all the tests were supposed to go negative if you're gluten-free? My doc said it just meant that I was still I celiac, and that my EMA was negative, which showed him I'm doing a good job with my diet.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I need to ask the experts on this board.

I asked my doc (who I adore, by the way, and never would have been diagnosed if he had not suggested celiac) to run a celiac panel on me, as I am still having occasional *gluten* symptoms, and would like to rule out that I am still accidentally ingesting gluten. I have been gluten-free for one year.

They tested TTG (IgA, I think) and that came back positive. I think my result was 89 (it was over 200 last year). My EMA came back negative.

I thought all the tests were supposed to go negative if you're gluten-free? My doc said it just meant that I was still I celiac, and that my EMA was negative, which showed him I'm doing a good job with my diet.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Your doctor is not running the correct test to see if you are ingesting gluten. The tTg IgA tests for intestinal damage and other autoimmune problems can also make this elevate. This is why it is run in conjunction with the other tests in the panel. What he needs to run is the AGA IgA test, which is the anti-gliadin measurement of whether you are making antibodies to gluten from your diet. If this is positive, then you are ingesting it somewhere.

The EMA is not an indicator test of gluten ingestion and is never used to re-check levels. It is a diagnostic tool only and very specific for Celiac Disease.

Your doctor is not running the correct test to see if you are ingesting gluten. The tTg IgA tests for intestinal damage and other autoimmune problems can also make this elevate. This is why it is run in conjunction with the other tests in the panel. What he needs to run is the AGA IgA test, which is the anti-gliadin measurement of whether you are making antibodies to gluten from your diet. If this is positive, then you are ingesting it somewhere.

The EMA is not an indicator test of gluten ingestion and is never used to re-check levels. It is a diagnostic tool only and very specific for Celiac Disease.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'll check with him next time I see him. I think our labs just have one panel that they run for celiac, I'm not sure that they do the AGA IgA test. I'll find out.

I hope that I don't have another autouimmune disease going on. Maybe my intestines are just taking some time to heal.

I actually just read a study that showed that 61% of folks with diagnosed celiac disease on a gluten-free diet still had positive TTG IgA readings after one year. This number included both people who were extremely strict and those who were only mostly compliant. Let me know if you'd like me to send you the study; I know it made me feel a lot better!

Hi.

You might be having a reaction to another food. The IgA test is less common and a bit limited and needs to be done by a very experienced person. The IgG and IgE tests, when elevated, mean you are negatively reacting to a food, any food.

It is very easy to accidentally be eating gluten so recheck all your food and beverages and make sure everything is gluten-free. If it is, you might want to request a general food allergy blood test that measures both IgE and IgG against a whole list of foods.

I didn't know I had a problem wiht dairy until I had a cold and quit dairy but stayed off the gluten and after 2 weeks I ate some dairy and had what felt like a gluten reaction. Turns out it was the cheese.

Tunibell's post is interesting. I'd say cover your bases, be diligent and be patient and you will get this figured out and feeling fine in no time.

Best of luck to you~